Beach Volleyball Sweeps Palmetto Invitational
LSU Sports Interactive
COLUMBIA, S.C. - The No. 11 ranked LSU beach volleyball team (15-6) secured its sweep of the Palmetto Invitational, defeating Coastal Carolina and UNC-Wilmington on Sunday. LSU did not lose a point in any of its matches over the weekend, en route to four straight victories.The Tigers will return to action for the CCSA Conference Tournament in Emerson, Georgia on Friday in pool play.
“That’s incredibly difficult (on sweeping all four teams) to do against programs that want to take a set or match,” said associate head coach Russell Brock. “They want to do whatever they can to compete in these matches and to go a weekend without dropping a match says a lot about where we are right now. I was proud of them for battling. We played really hard yesterday and to get two more sweeps was a lot of fun, and it was great to see that effort from our pairs today.”
In the first match against Coastal Carolina, Mandi Orellana and Riley Young won in straight sets on court four 21-15, 21-12 to give LSU a 1-0 lead. At the five, Cheyenne Wood and Megan Davenport tallied the second point of the match in a two-setter 21-10, 21-16.
No. 3 duo Callan Molle and Cati Leak extended the Tigers' lead to 3-0, winning in tightly-contested two sets 21-17, 21-19. On court two, Helen Boyle and Lilly Kessler claimed a win in straights 21-19, 21-15 for LSU's fourth point of the match. No. 1 pair Katie Lindelow and Ashley Allmer finished off the match with another victory in two sets 24-22, 21-13, giving the Tigers the 5-0 victory over Coastal Carolina.
In the final match of the tournament, LSU jumped out to an early 1-0 lead with a 21-11, 21-14 victory by Wood and Davenport at the five. The Tigers garnered their second point after Orellana and Victoria Boraski claimed a win in straight sets 21-17, 21-15 on court four. No. 1 tandem Lindelow and Allmer lifted the Tigers to 3-0 advantage, garnering a 21-17, 21-14 victory in straights. At the three, Molle and Leak knocked off their opponent in two sets 21-15, 21-16, adding the fourth point of the match for LSU.
Boyle and Kessler capped off the match for the Tigers, winning in three sets 21-16, 21-23, 15-13, giving LSU another 5-0 win and a complete sweep of the Palmetto Invitational.
LSU will return to action on Friday against Florida State at 8 a.m. in a rematch from the LSU Beach Invitational.
“Our first match is big one right out of the box early in the morning,” said Brock. “We felt we didn’t show up last time we played, but we feel were playing a lot better now. We want to compete and give ourselves the opportunity to play out of the pool and advance to the championship.”
Columbia, S.C. – Wheeler Beach
April 16, 2016
LSU 5, Coastal Carolina 0
1. Katie Lindelow/Ashley Allmer(LSU) def. Natasa Savovic/Alise Petersone (CCU) 24-22, 21-13
2. Helen Boyle/Lilly Kessler (LSU) def. Tahleia Bishop/Aleksandra Djuric (CCU) 21-19, 21-15
3. Cati Leak/Callan Molle (LSU) def. Leah Hardeman/Carla Cahill (CCU) 21-17, 21-19
4. Mandi Orellana/Riley Young (LSU) def. Sara Boothe/Mika Mierzwa (CCU) 21-15, 21-12
5. Cheyenne Wood/Megan Davenport (LSU) def. Iva Mandic/Dora Lulic (CCU) 21-10, 21-16
LSU 5, UNC-Wilmington 0
1. Katie Lindelow/Ashley Allmer (LSU) def. Bella Borgiotti/Katie McCullough (UNCW) 21-17, 21-14
2. Helen Boyle/Lilly Kessler (LSU) def. Ashleigh Crutcher/Maddy Kline (UNCW) 21-16, 21-23, 15-13
3. Cati Leak/Callan Molle (LSU) def. Nicole Lott/Kristen Powell (UNCW) 21-15, 21-16
4. Mandi Orellana/Victoria Boraski (LSU) def. Sydney Alvis/Sarah Kelly (UNCW) 21-17, 21-16
5. Cheyenne Wood/Megan Davenport (LSU) def. Halle Hunt/Anna Moss (UNCW) 21-11, 21-14
For the latest information on LSU Beach Volleyball, fans can follow the Tigers on Twitter and Instagram @LSUbeachVB and @RussLSUbeach, or on Facebook by liking LSU beach volleyball.