Women's Tennis Advances in NCAA Tournament
Assistant Communications Director
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. – For the second consecutive year and the 10th time in school history, LSU advanced to the second round of the NCAA Division I Women’s Tennis Tournament with a 4-0 win over Columbia Friday afternoon at the University of Virginia’s Snyder Tennis Courts.
Eighteenth-ranked LSU dominated the Lions to secure its 19th win of the season. The Lady Tigers will take on Virginia at 2 p.m. CT Saturday with a chance to advance to the Round of 16 in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
“I thought we really did a good job of handling the weather delay and overcoming a slow start to take charge of the match,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “They turned it around and it was a function of the break. The break between the SEC Tournament and now was good for our team.”
LSU started out strong by securing the doubles point. Joana Vale Costa and Ella Taylor opened play with a 6-1 win over Vivian Cheng and Andrea Kevakian on three. Abby Owens and Ryann Foster followed with a 6-4 victory over Rima Asatrian and Alexandra Solovyev to clinch the point.
“We have been working hard on doubles and changed the way we train and work on things. It was nice to see it pay off today,” Julia Sell added.
Owens collected her 31st win of the 2015-16 season to give LSU a 2-0 lead. The Duluth, Georgia native defeated Adi Milstein 6-0, 6-1 on court five.
Taylor then defeated Cheng 6-1, 6-1 on court five to improve to 17-11 for the dual season. The victory, which pushed the Lady Tigers’ lead to 3-0, was the 85th of her career.
Freshman Jessica Golovin clinched the match over Columbia with a 7-5, 6-1 win over Rima Astrian. Golovin improved to 12-14 for the dual season with the win.
For more information on the program, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
#18 LSU 4, #36 Columbia 0
May 13, 2016 at Charlottesville, Va.
(Snyder Tennis Center)
1. #22 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) vs. #43 Kanika Vaidya (COL) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
2. #59 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Rima Asatrian (COL) 7-5, 6-1
3. Ryann Foster (LSU) vs. Alexandra Solovyev (COL) 6-4, 4-3, unfinished
4. Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) vs. Andrea Kevakian (COL) 7-6, 2-2, unfinished
5. Abby Owens (LSU) def. Adi Milstein (COL) 6-0, 6-1
6. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Vivan Cheng (COL) 6-1, 6-1
1. Ryann Foster/Abby Owens (LSU) def. Rima Asatrian/Alexandra Solovyev (COL) 6-4
2. Skylar Holloway/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) vs. Kanika Vaidya/Adi Milstein (COL) 5-3, unfinished
3. Joana Vale Costa/Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Vivan Cheng/Andrea Kevakian (COL) 6-1
Columbia 13-9; National ranking #36
LSU 19-11; National ranking #18
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (5,6,2)
NCAA Tennis Championships - First Round