Golovin Leads Women's Tennis to 4-3 Win
Assistant Communications Director
BATON ROUGE – Freshman Jessica Golovin rallied to win in three sets on court two to lead the No. 20 LSU women’s tennis to a come-from-behind 4-3 victory over No. 23 Kentucky in the second round of the SEC Women’s Tennis Tournament on Thursday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
Golovin, ranked No. 59 in singles, defeated No. 75 Justina Mikulskyte, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4, to clinch the victory and send the Lady Tigers into the quarterfinal round of the SEC Tournament.
“Kentucky gave us a heck of a match,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “That was an unbelievable finish. Jessica is a special story today because the girl she played is usually number one. To come back after losing the first set and pull it out is big for her and the team.”
LSU moved to 18-10 for the season with the victory over the Wildcats. Under Sell, LSU has now reached the quarterfinal of the SEC Tournament for the third consecutive season.
After dropping the doubles point with losses on courts two and three, senior Ella Taylor squared the match at 1-1- with a convincing 6-0, 6-2 win on court six over Kate Lanier.
Senior Skylar Kuykendall started the comeback for LSU on court four against Akvile Parazinskaite with a 6-2, 6-3 victory.
Junior Abby Owens became the 16th player in school history to reach the 30-win mark in a season after defeating Kristen Lewis on court five, 6-4, 7-6 (10-8). She joins teammates Vale Costa and Kuykendall who set the mark last season.
After Owens moved the match to 3-3 overall, Golovin clinched the quarterfinal round berth on court two.
LSU returns to action at 2 p.m. CT Friday against No. 1 seed and third-ranked Florida on the north courts of the LSU Tennis Complex.
“Florida went undefeated in our conference for a reason,” Sell said. “They make you hit balls and they are the type of team that you have to beat because they won’t give it to you. We had a really good battle the last time we played them and we’ll have to take it up a notch tomorrow.”
For more information on the program, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
#20 LSU (8) 4, #23 Kentucky (9) 3
April 21, 2016 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
1. #35 Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) def. #22 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
2. #59 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. #75 Justina Mikulskyte (UK) 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Mami Adachi (UK) def. Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Akvile Parazinskaite (UK) 6-2, 6-3
5. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Kirsten Lewis (UK) 6-4, 7-6 (10-8)
6. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Morgan Chumney (UK) 6-0, 6-2
1. #1 Mami Adachi/Aldila Sutjiadi (UK) vs. Ryann Foster/Abigail Owens (LSU) no result
2. Nadia Ravita/Justina Mikulskyte (UK) def. Joana Vale Costa/Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-2
3. #53 Akvile Parazinskaite/Morgan Chumney (UK) def. Skylar Holloway/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) 6-3
Kentucky (9) 17-9; National ranking #23
LSU (8) 18-10; National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,3,1,4,5,2)
SEC Women's Tennis Tournament - Second Round