Women's Tennis Falls to Georgia, 5-2
Assistant Communications Director
BATON ROUGE — The 16th-ranked LSU women’s tennis team’s (16-9, 5-6 SEC) secured singles wins on courts four and five in a 5-2 loss to fourth-ranked Georgia (16-2, 8-1) Friday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
“I think we may have overplayed a little today and it hurt us,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “We have to play our games and not worry about who we are playing.”
UGA took the doubles point and topped the Lady Tigers on the top three courts. Caroline Brinson and Laura Patterson took down Skylar Kuykendall and Skylar Holloway, 6-2. Silvia Garcia and Kennedy Shaffer followed with a 6-3 win over Owens and Ryann Foster, 6-3.
In singles play, UGA took the first set on five of six singles courts. Sixth-ranked Ellen Perez defeated No. 20 Joana Vale Costa 6-4, 6-0 for the Bulldogs’ first singles point.
Shaffer, who is ranked 51st in singles, defeated freshman Jessica Golovin 6-3, 6-2 on court two to give UGA a 3-0 lead. Garcia followed with a 6-1, 6-3 over Ryann Foster on court three to clinch the match for the bulldogs.
Owens topped Mariana Gould 7-5, 6-2 on court five to give LSU its first singles point. The win moved Owens to a team-best 19-4 and 10-1 in conference. The junior is also two wins shy of the 30-win mark.
“Abby struggled at the beginning of the year and as the year has progressed I feel like she never swayed from her style,” Sell added. “I think she is doing the best on our team where she really just does not worry about her opponent.”
Kuykendall pushed her match against No. 27 Caroline Brinson to a third set. The senior defeated Brinson 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5) to secure the ranked win.
On the final court, senior Ella Taylor dropped the first set and ultimately fell 5-7, 6-2, 0-1 (11-13)
LSU returns to action at 11 a.m. Sunday against No. 75 Tennessee. The final regular season match at the LSU Tennis Complex marks Senior Day for Skylar Kuykendall and Ella Taylor.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
#4 Georgia 5, #16 LSU 2
April 8, 2016 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
1. #6 Ellen Perez (UGA) def. #20 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 6-4, 6-0
2. #51 Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. #59 Jessica Golovin (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #92 Silvia Garcia (UGA) def. Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. #27 Caroline Brinson (UGA) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Mariana Gould (UGA) 7-5, 6-2
6. Laura Patterson (UGA) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 7-5, 2-6, 1-0 (13-11)
1. Joana Vale Costa/Jessica Golovin (LSU) vs. #23 Ellen Perez/Mariana Gould (UGA) 3-5, unfinished
2. Silvia Garcia/Kennedy Shaffer (UGA) def. Abigail Owens/Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-3
3. Caroline Brinson/Laura Patterson (UGA) def. Skylar Holloway/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) 6-2
Georgia 16-2, 9-1 SEC; National ranking #4
LSU 16-9, 5-6 SEC; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,2,3,5,4,6)