BATON ROUGE, La. — In the first match indoors at the LSU Tennis Complex, the 12th-ranked LSU women’s tennis team improved to 10-3 with a 6-1 victory over Tulane and 7-0 sweep over UNO Wednesday evening.
“We’ve been really hungry and have worked hard the last week,” co-head coach Julia Sell said. “I thought we really did a great job of stepping up after last weekend. They worked on the things we stressed in practice.”
LSU took the doubles point in both matches and won 11 of 12 first sets over the course of the day. Only two matches were forced to a third set.
In doubles against Tulane, Abby Owens and Skylar Kuykendall teamed up on two to defeat Naz Karagoz and Elena Muller, 6-2. Ella Taylor and Skylar Holloway defeated Kyla Klier and Sofia Kurtz, 6-1, on three to clinch the doubles point.
Joana Vale Costa extended LSU’s lead to 2-0 with a dominating 6-1, 6-2 victory over Ipek Birol on court one.
Taylor moved the match to 3-0 overall with a win on court six. The senior defeated Kurtz 6-2, 6-4.
Junior Abby Owens clinched the victory over the Green Wave on court five. Owens earned the 6-3, 7-5 win over Meredith Maltby.
Sophomore Ryann Foster was pushed to the limit in the first set against Tulane’s Karagoz, 7-6. With the overall win in hand, Foster dominated court three in the second set, 6-0.
After the Green Wave stole a point on court two over Jessica Golovin, it was up to Kuykendall on court four. After dropping her first set, Kuykendall recovered to defeat Katz 4-6, 6-3, 6-4.
After a brief break, LSU picked right up where they left off and dominated the Privateers. With strong play by Taylor and Holloway on one and Vale Costa and Foster on two, LSU took the doubles point for the second time Wednesday.
Vale Costa double bageled Soledad Calderon on court one to improve to 9-2 on the year and give LSU a 2-0 lead overall.
Despite moving into the singles lineup at the last minute, Holloway wasted no time. The junior defeated Yasmine Rashad 6-1, 6-2 on court six.
Foster improved to a perfect 11-0 on the year with her 6-1, 6-1 match-clinching win over UNO’s Anja Luethi. Foster is on a 13-match win streak, and all 11 of her singles wins this spring have come in two sets.
With the match in hand, LSU dominated the remaining three courts. Taylor picked up her ninth victory of the season over Trang Dao on court four 6-0, 6-3.
Owens followed with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Hafsa Laraibi 6-3, 6-3 on court five. Golovin closed out the night with a 6-4, 6-0 win on two.
LSU returns to competition Friday at 3 p.m. against No. 37 Arizona. The first 50 fans in attendance will receive an LSU Tennis koozie. Those is attendance will also receive a $4 coupon to the LSU Baseball game that night.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and onwww.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
#12 LSU 6, Tulane 1
Feb 23, 2016 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
1. #20 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Ipek Birol (TLN) 6-1, 6-2
2. Kyla Klier (TLN) def. #46 Jessica Golovin (LSU) 3-6, 7-5, 1-0 (10-6)
3. Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Naz Karagoz (TLN) 7-6, 6-0
4. Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Jacqui Katz (TLN) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
5. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Meredith Maltby (TLN) 6-3, 7-5
6. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Sofia Kurtz (TLN) 6-2, 6-4
1. Ipek Birol/Sade Atkinson (TLN) def. Joana Vale Costa/Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-0
2. Abigail Owens/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Naz Karagoz/Elena Muller (TLN) 6-2
3. Skylar Holloway/Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Kyla Klier/Sofia Kurtz (TLN) 6-1
LSU 9-3; National ranking #12
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,6,5,3,2)
Tennis Match Results
LSU 7, University of New Orleans 0
Feb 24, 2016 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
1. #20 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Soledad Calderon (UNO) 6-0, 6-0
2. #46 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) 6-4, 6-0
3. Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Anja Luethi (UNO) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Trang Dao (UNO) 6-0, 6-3
5. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Hafsa Laraibi (UNO) 6-3, 6-3
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Yasmine Rashad (UNO) 6-1, 6-2
1. Joana Vale Costa/Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Anja Luethi/Trang Dao (UNO) 6-2
2. Ella Taylor/Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Soledad Calderon/Anna Segarra Rius (UNO) 6-1
3. Skylar Kuykendall/Abigail Owens (LSU) vs. Hafsa Laraibi/Yasmine Rashad (UNO) 5-1, unfinished
University of New Orleans 4-1
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,6,3,4,5,2)