Women's Tennis Completes Weekend Sweep
Assistant Communications Director
BATON ROUGE — The 15th-ranked LSU women’s tennis team completed a Southeastern Conference weekend sweep for the first time this season with a 7-0 victory over No. 59 Missouri Sunday afternoon at the LSU Tennis Complex.
With the victory, LSU improved to 16-6 and 5-3 in conference. Missouri dropped to 13-7 and 1-6 in the league.
“I think we controlled everything today, but there were some times where Missouri clawed their way back,” LSU co-head coach Julia Sell said. “Our girls did not flinch though. That is what our team needs to do to continue to be successful.”
The Lady Tigers extended their doubles winning streak to three matches with a dominating performance to start things off. It marked the first time since 2008 that LSU has won the doubles point against conference foes in three-straight matches.
Skylar Holloway and Skylar Kuykendall started things off a 6-1 win on three over Cassidy Spearman and Brittany Lashway. Ryann Foster and Abby Owens followed with the clinch on court two over Kelli Hine and Clare Raley, 6-2.
Owens opened things up in singles play with another dominating win. The junior took down Spearman 6-3, 6-1 to improve to 16-4 and 7-1 in the spring.
Senior Ella Taylor jumped to 14-7 and 5-3 in conference with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Raley. Taylor extended LSU’s lead to 3-0 with the victory.
Foster clinched the match for LSU on court three with a 6-4, 6-3 win on court three. The sophomore moved to 17-2 and 5-2 in conference.
With the match in hand, LSU completed the sweep win the win courts two, three and four. Freshman Jessica Golovin defeated Kelli Hine 7-6, 6-1. Joana Vale Costa earned a 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 win to move it to 6-0.
Kuykendall completed the sweep of Missouri with a 6-3, 2-6, 6-1 victory over Brittany Lashway.
“Missouri is a good team, and the reality is that in our conference all 14 teams should be in the top 30. This is one of the best Missouri teams I have ever seen,” Sell added.
The Lady Tigers return to the road for SEC play against Florida at 4 p.m. Thursday. The team then travels to take on South Carolina at 11 a.m. Saturday.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
#15 LSU 7, #59 Missouri 0
March 27, 2016 at Baton Rouge, La.
(LSU Tennis Complex)
1. #19 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. #72 Bea Machado Santos (MIZ) 6-2, 4-6, 1-0 (10-4)
2. #48 Jessica Golovin (LSU) def. Kelli Hine (MIZ) 7-6 (7-3), 6-1
3. Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Brianna Lashway (MIZ) 6-4, 6-3
4. Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Brittany Lashway (MIZ) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
5. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Cassidy Spearman (MIZ) 6-3, 6-1
6. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Clare Raley (MIZ) 6-4, 6-2
1. Joana Vale Costa/Jessica Golovin (LSU) vs. #73 Bea Machado Santos/Brianna Lashway (MIZ) 4-5, unfinished
2. Abigail Owens/Ryann Foster (LSU) def. Clare Raley/Kelli Hine (MIZ) 6-2
3. Skylar Holloway/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Cassidy Spearman/Brittany Lashway (MIZ) 6-1
Missouri 13-7, 1-6 SEC; National ranking #59
LSU 16-6, 5-3 SEC; National ranking #15
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (5,6,2,3,1,4)
Match Played Indoors