Lady Tigers Fall at No. 7 Vanderbilt
LSU Sports Interactive
NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The 18th-ranked LSU women’s tennis team took the doubles point for the first time in five matches but it was not enough as the Lady Tigers fell, 5-2, to seventh-ranked Vanderbilt Saturday afternoon at the Brownlee O. Currey Jr. Tennis Center.
With the loss, LSU dropped to 14-6 and 3-3 in conference play. The Commodores improved to 10-5 and 3-2 in the league.
"I was proud of the way we handled the adversity today of being down had a player. We had our chance to work our way back in on several courts," co-head coach Julia Sell said. "I have to give credit to Vanderbilt for stepping up in some crucial moments."
The Lady Tigers opened by securing the doubles point for the first time against an SEC opponent since last season versus Kentucky. Vanderbilt earned the win on court one but Joana Vale Costa and Ella Taylor defeated Fernanda Contreras and Georgina Sellyn 6-4 on three to even things out.
The Commodores took the first set on five of singles courts and never looked back. Campbell started things off with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Ryann Foster on court two to even the match at 1-1.
No. 20 Joana Vale Costa moved to 2-0 on the weekend with a win on the top court. For LSU’s lone singles point, Vale Costa defeated Astra Sharma 6-4, 6-1.
Sellyn took court five 6-4, 6-1 over Taylor and Altick defeated Kuykendall 6-4, 6-2 on court three to give the Commodores a 3-2 lead.
Fernanda Conteras clinched the victory for Vanderbilt on six with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Holloway.
LSU returns home to face Georgia Friday, March 25 at 4 p.m. The Lady Tigers then follow with Tennessee at 11 a.m. Sunday.
For more information on the LSU women’s tennis program, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Tennis Match Results
#7 Vanderbilt 5, #18 LSU 2
March 19, 2016 at Nashville, Tenn.
(Currey Tennis Center)
1. #20 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. #33 Astra Sharma (VANDY) 6-4, 6-1
2. #24 Sydney Campbell (VANDY) def. Ryann Foster (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
3. #16 Frances Altick (VANDY) def. Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Courtney Colton (VANDY) def. Abigail Owens (LSU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Georgina Sellyn (VANDY) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Fernanda Contreras (VANDY) def. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
1. Courtney Colton/Astra Sharma (VANDY) def. Ryann Foster/Abigail Owens (LSU) 6-1
2. Skylar Holloway/Skylar Kuykendall (LSU) def. Frances Altick/Sydney Campbell (VANDY) 7-6
3. Joana Vale Costa/Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Fernanda Contreras/Georgina Sellyn (VANDY) 6-4
Louisiana State University 14-6, 3-3 SEC; National ranking #18
Vanderbilt 10-5, 3-2 SEC; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,1,5,3,6,4)