Baseball to Face Three Opponents This Weekend
Communications Sr. Associate
#14 LSU Fighting Tigers (5-4) vs. Toledo (2-5)/Sacred Heart (1-2)/Southeastern Louisiana (6-3)
LSU vs. Toledo: Friday, March 2 – 7 p.m. CT
LSU vs. Sacred Heart: Saturday, March 3 – 6 p.m. CT
LSU vs. Southeastern Louisiana: Sunday, March 4 – 3 p.m. CT
Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field in Baton Rouge, La. (10,326)
Tickets available at http://bit.ly/2FKcfLs
LSU – No. 14 by Collegiate Baseball; No. 16 by Baseball America
Toledo/Sacred Heart/Southeastern La. – unranked
SEC Network+ - the games may be viewed at WatchESPN.com and the Watch ESPN app
vs. Toledo – LSU leads the all-time series with Toledo, 1-0. The only prior meeting between the schools came in 2014, when LSU posted a 15-1 win over Toledo in Alex Box Stadium, Skip Bertman Field.
vs. Sacred Heart – LSU leads the all-time series with Sacred Heart, 3-0, with all three games being played in Baton Rouge. The Tigers defeated the Pioneers, 6-1, in 2011,10-2 in 2013 and 8-1 in 2014.
vs. Southeastern Louisiana - LSU leads Southeastern Louisiana, 69-18, in a series that began in 1937. LSU has won 23 of the last 25 meetings between the schools, but SLU posted a 5-4 win over the Tigers on Wednesday night in Hammond. LSU has a 42-4 mark against Southeastern Louisiana since 1990.
LSU – So. RHP Zack Hess (1-1, 10.80 ERA, 8.1 IP, 8 BB, 12 SO)
Toledo – Jr. LHP Michael Jacob (0-1, 7.15 ERA, 11.1 IP, 6 BB, 11 SO)
LSU – Jr. RHP Caleb Gilbert (0-0, 10.80 ERA, 8.1 IP, 2 BB, 3 SO)
Sacred Heart – Sr. LHP James Taubl (0-1, 9.00 ERA, 3.0 IP, 1 BB, 1 SO)
LSU – Fr. RHP AJ Labas (making collegiate debut)
Southeastern La. – Jr. RHP Kade Granier (1-0, 0.00 ERA, 6.0 IP, 2 BB, 9 SO)
Saturday – LSU Baseball Pen/Stylus Giveaway
QUOTING PAUL MAINIERI
“I think our guys are playing hard, and when we get good pitching, we’ve got a chance. We’ll keep improving as our team gets healthier and players get back into the lineup and on the mound. We’ve played some outstanding competition, and we’re getting better. The key for us is to not fall into such a deep hole each game. I feel it in my bones that it’s coming; I’m very positive that we’re going to be OK.”
ABOUT THE TIGERS
• LSU is 1-1 so far this week with a 10-3 win over Grambling on Tuesday night and a 5-4 loss at Southeastern Louisiana on Wednesday night.
• Third baseman Jake Slaughter blasted a three-run homer – his first of the season – in the top of the eighth inning Wednesday at Southeastern, reducing a 5-1 SLU lead to 5-4. Slaughter has four hits and five RBI in the Tigers’ two games this week.
• Catcher Hunter Feduccia turned in a brilliant defensive effort against Southeastern Louisiana, throwing out all three SLU base runners that attempted to steal. Southeastern was 39-for-45 in stolen base attempts entering the game.
• Freshman right-hander AJ Labas will make his first career LSU appearance on Sunday, when he is scheduled to start the game versus Southeastern Louisiana. Labas was the 17th-round draft selection of the New York Mets in 2017, and he was 9-0 last season with a 0.50 ERA (82 Ks in 65 innings) at Trinity Christian High School in Fleming Island, Fla.
ABOUT THE OPPONENTS
• Toledo of the Mid-American Conference is 2-5 this season, and the Rockets are hitting .268 as a team with 13 doubles, one triple, nine homers and three steals in four attempts. Toledo’s pitching staff has an 8.40 ERA with 53 strikeouts in 60.0 innings.
• Toledo head coach Cory Mee worked as an assistant coach at Notre Dame from 1995-99 under LSU coach Paul Mainieri when Mainieri was the head coach at Notre Dame.
• Sacred Heart University is located in Fairfield, Conn., and the Pioneers are members of the Northeast Conference.
• The Southeastern Louisiana win over LSU earlier this week was the Lions’ first triumph over the Tigers since 2008, when SLU recorded a victory in the original Alex Box Stadium.