Chris Jackson's '07 Sugar Bowl Diary

LSU senior Chris Jackson
LSU senior Chris Jackson (@LSUsports) (@LSUsports)
LSU Sports Interactive

2007 LSU Sugar Bowl Diary

LSU punter/placekicker Chris Jackson, a native of the New Orleans area, took time out of his bowl trip to write a personal diary for Enjoy this bowl week experience through the words of a senior playing his last game as a Tiger.

Day 6: Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Today started out great because we went from having 6:45 a.m. wake-up to 10 a.m. wake-up, which was awesome. We had a team and individual meeting then had free time to hang out with family and friends if we chose.

In other news the "world famous Golden Band from Tigerland and the Golden Girls and Colorguard arrived last night. I couldn't believe how many people are here. The band is great, and we look forward to having their support in the Superdome on Wednesday.

After a 2:30 p.m. team meeting, we went to the Superdome in our new black warm-up suits where we took our team picture. After the picture and a short walk through in preparation for the game, we went back to the hotel for our team meal. We then went to the Palace Theater where we saw the new Rocky Balboa movie. I thought it was a great movie and appropriate since it is the day before the game. How can you go wrong with Rocky? It's hard to believe he is like 60 years old.

We headed back to the hotel where the fans are now out in full force. It is great to have their support. We then went through our offense, defense and special teams meetings followed by our traditional peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Now it's time for bed on the eve of the Sugar Bowl. Ladies and gentlemen, if I don't talk to you tomorrow, I want to thank everyone for reading my journal and hopefully it gave everyone some insight on what it was like here in New Orleans.

I hope to see everyone at the game against Notre Dame. If I don't please check us out on television. I want to thank everyone for your support over the past four years. The seniors appreciate everything you have done to make LSU so special. Have a Happy New Year and Geaux Tigers!


Day 5: Monday, January 1, 2007

Happy New Year everyone! This morning was just like every other morning in that we woke up early and rode to the Superdome for practice. It was pretty cool for me today because one of LSU's greatest baseball players was there, and I got to spend several minutes chatting with him. It was former Tiger Aaron Hill, and he was a down to earth person to talk with. Aaron is in town the next couple of days and will be at the game on Wednesday night.

After practice we loaded the buses and headed back where we had some po-boys waiting for us. After a team meeting and an intense highlight video, we had some free time. Some guys went and saw there family while others went walking around the Riverwalk and French Quarter.

I went to the Sugar Bowl Fan Fest where I watched the field goal challenge. The deal is if you make a 25-yard field goal, you win a shot at $50,000. However, you could not have any past kicking experience so I was out. On one hand some of them were quite funny while other people split the uprights. It was fun to watch nonetheless.

I walked through the Riverwalk and headed back to the Hilton Hotel. We signed a couple of autographs in the lobby and then went up to our rooms. Today was a pretty low-keyed day, and tomorrow we get our minds locked in on playing a great game against Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl.

Hope to see everyone around the next few days and then on gameday. If not, then check out the Tigers on FOX. Take care.


Day 4: Sunday, December 31, 2006

So today we woke up early and went to the New Orleans Saints' facility for practice. We passed right by my old neighborhood, and we almost tempted the bus driver to pass right by my house!

After a very efficient practice, we headed back to the hotel where we ate "Love that chicken from Popeyes," a New Orleans favorite as I'm sure everyone knows. After that we all took a nap for a couple of hours.

At around 4:30 p.m., we headed to the Children's Hospital. We got there and I tell you what, it puts everything that we have as players into perspective. These kids are so strong and optimistic. Most of them are struggling through life threatening illnesses. When we stop by, it just brightens their day and ours as well. Jeff, the person showing us around, said that the kids had been looking forward to seeing us for weeks. There is no greater feeling then making their day by giving them a shirt and cap and seeing their smiling faces.

After the hospital, we napped for a little longer and then boarded the Creole Queen for our New Year's extravaganza. We had a great time. Marlon Favorite rapped to some tracks, and Coach Miles was dancing as best as he could!

At midnight we all viewed the fireworks display on the river. Hopefully, 2007 will show us a victory in the Sugar Bowl. Only three days left until the game, and we are getting anxious to play again. See everyone tomorrow. 


Day 3: Saturday, December 30, 2006

Good evening once again here from the Allstate Sugar Bowl here in the great New Orleans, La. Today was more of a laid back day for myself. We got to sleep in about an extra 30 minutes this morning, which is not a bad thing as I'm sure everyone knows.

We woke up around 7 a.m. and went down to eat a light breakfast. After a few meetings and a game of air hockey, we loaded the buses for the Superdome. We had another good, hard practice. The kickers not so hard but hard none the less. They allowed high school coaches and some parents to watch practice which I thought was cool. I got to see my dad for a couple of minutes, which I know he enjoyed.

After practice we took the buses back to the hotel where we ate some pizza. Then some of the guys went to the Katrina relief women's basketball game against Louisiana Tech in the New Orleans Arena.

We later loaded up and headed to Zea's Restaurant where they had some incredible dishes. We had chicken, ribs, grilled redfish, dirty rice and my personal favorite, the corn grits! Awesome!

The rain started to poor on us as we were leaving, but we made it back safe. I'm going to have to run now, but check back tomorrow because it is New Year's Eve. I'm sure the Tigers have something good in store. Take care.


Day 2: Friday, December 29, 2006

Hello once again ladies and gentlemen. The first night here in New Orleans was a blast. It was fun to go out and see some of my family and friends that I haven't seen in awhile. But as fun as that was, waking up at 6 a.m. wasn't as great.

We went to the Fellowship of Christian Athletes breakfast where we had some eggs, hash browns and ham. The key note speaker was the ever popular Drew Brees. I tell you what, he has a tremendous faith in God and gives him all of the credit for his success throughout the years. After that we headed to Jason Spadoni's, Carnell Stewart's and the rest of my fellow John Curtis alums' home away from home, the Louisiana Superdome.

The Saints organization has done a phenomenal job getting the Dome back as one of the premier venues in the country. If felt great to get back in there after playing here in the 2003 National Championship Game. This is going to be my sixth time playing in this stadium, and hopefully we can go out with a win.

After a good practice we headed back to the hotel where we ate some muffulettas, which were incredible. Some of us loaded up and went down to Musician's Village and volunteered for the Habitat for Humanity in the Ninth Ward. After everything with Hurricane Katrina, it felt really good, especially being a New Orleans native, to go down there for a little bit and help out. Even though we moved just a little bit of dirt, I think we brought an uplifting to the workers and people in the community. We kept their spirits up.

We then loaded up, napped for a bit and went to the Zydeco's Roadhouse for some barbecue. We ate some ribs, chicken and beans, which was excellent. We then headed back to the hotel after a full day.

Tomorrow should be another great day as we get ready to take on the Irish. I will be back tomorrow with another installment! Take care everyone.


Day 1: Thursday, December 28, 2006

What's up everyone? This is Chris Jackson and for the next few days I will be giving you an inside scoop of what the LSU football team is doing on a day-to-day basis here in New Orleans at the Sugar Bowl.

First of all, today we all woke up at around 6:45 a.m. and headed to the Football Operations Building in Baton Rouge for a light practice. After practice, we were given some sweet warm-up suits that I would have to say is our coolest outfit in the four years I have been here. They're black with gold trim. If you are heading down to New Orleans, you should check them out because we will be wearing them all week.

We departed for New Orleans at about 2 p.m. When we arrived at the Hilton Riverside, there was a hoard of cameras and bowl committee members there to greet us. There was also a small jazz band there, which I thought was pretty cool. After some interviews that me and a few of the other players (Craig Steltz and JaMarcus Russell) had to do, we checked into our rooms. They are NICE! The only thing about the hotel, though, is that it is confusing to get around. Oh well, we will figure it out.

At about 5 p.m. we had a meeting with the New Orleans Police Department who described where and where not to go in the French Quarter. Then the ambassador of the Jazz Festival in New Orleans came and played some songs for us. We left from there and went to eat at Mulate's and the food was incredible. We had fried fish, jambalaya, crawfish etouffee and some other incredible food. They played some music and a few of the guys danced and freestyled. Then we headed back to the hotel.

Tomorrow we have a 6:20 a.m. wake-up call, and I'm sure we have some other cool things to do. I'll be back tomorrow with the scoop on everything at the Sugar Bowl.




2019 Football Spring Game - Highlights
Apr. 6
2019 Football Spring Game - Audio Replay
Apr. 6
Coach Orgeron Interview - Pre Spring Game
Apr. 3