COLUMBIA, S.C. – The No. 33 LSU men’s tennis team (14-11, 5-7 SEC) fell, 4-2, to No. 34 Vanderbilt (17-12, 6-6 SEC) in the second round of the SEC Tournament Thursday in Columbia, South Carolina, at the Carolina Tennis Center.
“The doubles point was extremely close,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “It came down to a tiebreaker and was back and forth. A few of our guys responded really well to us losing doubles; a couple didn’t. Vanderbilt certainly got some momentum there.”
Throughout the season LSU has had great success in the doubles point and were on a nine-match win streak before today.
Court two’s Justin Butsch and Tam Trinh got a 6-3 win against Vanderbilt’s Tate Allwardt and Pen Binet to begin the match. Their win was followed by a court three loss from LSU’s Gabor Csonka and Andrew Korinek against Baker Newman and Daniel Valent, 6-3.
In singles, the Tigers saw solid performances from their junior personnel on courts one and two. Butsch, ranked 70th nationally, played a tough first set against No. 103 Klinger, getting a 7-6 win. He then finished his opponent 6-3 in the second set to give the Tigers their first point.
No. 52 Daigle took the only other win for LSU on court one against No. 34 Valent. His 6-4, 7-6 win brought the LSU team to their second and final point.
The final four courts couldn’t quite find the wins with court three going unfinished in a third set.
“Things started to get a little closer, but we’ve got to do a better job of our whole lineup showing up everyday,” Brown said. “For the rest of the way out we have to find a way to have everybody engaged in the match. Vanderbilt played well, and they deserved to win.”
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
(10) LSU vs (7) Vanderbilt
4/21/2016 at Columbia, S.C. (Carolina Tennis Center)
#34 (7) Vanderbilt 4, #33 (10) LSU 2
1. #52 Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. #34 Daniel Valent (VU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-3)
2. #70 Justin Butsch (LSU) def. #103 Cameron Klinger (VU) 7-6 (7-3), 6-3
3. Rhys Johnson (VU) vs. Gabor Csonka (LSU) 6-2, 1-6, 5-4, unfinished
4. Baker Newman (VU) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-0, 6-3
5. Kris Yee (VU) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 7-6, 6-3
6. Alex Ross (VU) def. Simon Freund (LSU) 7-5, 6-2
1. #14 Cameron Klinger/Rhys Johnson (VU) def. #8 Jordan Daigle/Boris Arias (LSU) 7-6 (8-6)
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Tate Allwardt/Pen Binet (VU) 6-3
3. Baker Newman/Daniel Valent (VU) def. Gabor Csonka/Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-3
(10) LSU 14-11, 5-7 SEC; National ranking #33
(7) Vanderbilt 17-12, 6-6 SEC; National ranking #34
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (4,6,2,1,5)
SEC Tournament (2nd Round)