LEXINGTON, Ky. – Junior Jordan Daigle took a court one clinch to give No. 39 LSU a 4-2 win over No. 20 Kentucky Sunday at the Boone Tennis Center, marking LSU’s first top 20 win for the season.
“The team came in very focused from yesterday’s practice all the way through preparations for the match,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “They were on a mission today and weren’t going to let anything stop them. It’s a win we’ve been building towards since the Mississippi State loss and we really came together as a team, and are looking to continue.”
The Tigers, coming off of a 4-3 win over Tennessee Friday, came to Kentucky on a two-match win streak. This victory marks LSU’s fifth SEC victory going to 14-9 overall.
The match started with a solid LSU doubles victory with wins on courts two and three. Justin Butsch and Tam Trinh got the match started on court two with a 6-3 win over William Bushamuka and Trey Yates.
LSU dropped their first two singles competitions on courts six then two with losses taken from Simon Freund and Butsch. The tone soon changed for LSU with Boris Arias getting a 6-1, 6-3 win on court four over Enzo Wallart to tie the match 2-2 for his team.
Gabor Csonka followed the win with another two set victory against Kentucky’s Nils Ellefsen on court three, 6-4, 6-3, bringing his team ahead. Two courts continued with both Daigle and Korinek in third sets against their Wildcat opponents.
Daigle managed to clinch the match for his team against No. 25 Bushamuka on court one with a close 3-6, 6-1, 7-5 win. Korinek’s court five match against Trey Yates was left unfinished at 6-3, 2-2.
The Tigers complete regular season play with a Friday competition in College Station against No. 10 Texas A&M.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs Kentucky
Apr 10, 2016 at Lexington, Ky.
(Hilary J. Boone Tennis Center)
#39 LSU 4, #20 Kentucky 2
1. #79 Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. #25 William Bushamuka (UK) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
2. #52 Ryotaro Matsumura (UK) def. #95 Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Nils Ellefsen (UK) 6-4, 6-3
4. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Enzo Wallart (UK) 6-1, 6-3
5. Trey Yates (UK) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-3, 2-2, unfinished
6. Austin Hussey (UK) def. Simon Freund (LSU) 6-3, 6-1
1. Nils Ellefsen/Enzo Wallart (UK) vs. #11 Jordan Daigle/Boris Arias (LSU) 4-5, unfinished
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. William Bushamuka/Trey Yates (UK) 6-3
3. Andrew Korinek/Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Ryotaro Matsumura/Austin Hussey (UK) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (6,2,4,3,1)