Men's Tennis Falls to the Rebels, 4-1
OXFORD, Miss. – The No. 43 LSU men’s tennis team (8-5) fell to No. 22 Ole Miss (7-3) 4-1, Friday at the Gillom Sports Center.
Due to inclement weather, the match was forced indoors and limited to only three courts at a time. LSU dropped the doubles point adding pressure to the team as they began singles play with the top three courts.
“We were in a situation where if we could have won the doubles point it could have potentially been two-all going into the last three courts,” Head Coach Jeff Brown said. “We should have done better, certainly. “
After a tough start in doubles, where the Tigers have excelled most of the season, LSU’s Justin Butsch took the first point for LSU, 6-0, 6-3 on court three, which secured the need to play the last three courts.
On court two, LSU’s Gabor Csonka put up a fight in efforts to tie the match, two-all, heading into the second portion of single play. He brought the match into a second set tiebreaker after dropping his first set 6-3. Csonka couldn’t quite finish his opponent, Gustav Hansson and fell 7-6 (7-4) to give the Rebels a 3-1 lead going into the second half of singles.
LSU Freshman Nikola Samardzic sealed the team’s loss after making a second set comeback but eventually falling 6-2, 7-5 to his opponent, Grey Hamilton on court five, leaving the last two courts unfinished.
LSU continues SEC play, traveling to Fayetteville to face No. 32 Arkansas, Sunday.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Mar 11, 2016 at Oxford, Mississippi (Gillom Sports Center)
#22 Ole Miss 4, #43 LSU 1
1. #103 Stefan Lindmark (OM) def. #102 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Gustav Hansson (OM) def. #106 Gabor Csonka (LSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
3. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Filip Kraljevic (OM) 6-0, 6-3
4. Fabian Fallert (OM) vs. Simon Freund (LSU) 6-3, 5-2, unfinished
5. Grey Hamilton (OM) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-2, 7-5
6. Zvonimir Babic (OM) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-1, 3-2, unfinished
1. #8 Jordan Daigle/Boris Arias (LSU) def. #48 Filip Kraljevic/Zvonimir Babic (OM) 6-3
2. Fabian Fallert/Grey Hamilton (OM) def. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-2
3. Stefan Lindmark/Gustav Hansson (OM) def. Andrew Korinek/Gabor Csonka (LSU) 6-2
LSU 8-5, 1-2; National ranking #43
Ole Miss 7-3, 2-1; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,2,5)