Men's Tennis Beats Auburn, 5-2
BATON ROUGE, La.– In an epic third set battle to clinch the match for his team, LSU’s Justin Butsch took down Maxime Hinnisdaels of Auburn 5-7, 6-0, 6-3 to bring No. 32 LSU the win over No. 66 Auburn with a score of 5-2 at the LSU Tennis Complex on Sunday.
Butsch and partner Tam Trinh got the match started with a win in doubles over Brandon Laubser and Conner Huertas, 6-2, on court two to put No. 17 Jordan Daigle and Boris Arias in position to clinch the doubles point on court one against No. 52 Marko Krickovic and Edward Nguyen of Auburn.
“We continued a really solid doubles win against Auburn," Head Coach Jeff Brown said. "It was a big momentum point in that particular match. Ultimately, Justin did a really great job against a player that beat him pretty badly the last time they played so he overcame that and did a really great job finishing the match just fighting really hard.”
In singles, LSU saw another good win from newcomer Nikola Samardzic over Auburn’s Joseph Van Dooren on court five, 6-3, 6-3, giving LSU a 2-0 lead against Auburn. Samardzic, in Friday’s match against Florida was responsible for one of LSU’s two singles wins.
With a loss from Daigle and a win from Andrew Korinek, LSU looked to their final three courts to clinch, leading Auburn 3-1. Justin Butsch, after dropping his first set 5-7, made a total transformation in the second set to beat his opponent 6-0 and force the match into a third set.
With Gabor Csonka in a second set tiebreaker and Arias coming back from a 0-4 deficit in his third set, Butsch come in the clutch to win the match for LSU with a score of 5-7, 6-0, 6-3.
LSU, with two courts left in play, saw a loss from Arias after making a comeback in the third set. Auburn’s Dante Saleh slipped by with a final score of 6-4, 2-6, 7-5 over the LSU senior. Csonka after losing his second set tiebreaker, finished his match victorious 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2.
Following the Auburn match, the Tigers will face Alcorn State.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
Auburn vs LSU
3/6/2016 at Baton Rogue, La. (LSU Tennis Complex)
#32 LSU 5, #66 Auburn 2
1. Marko Krickovic (AU) def. #42 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-3, 6-0
2. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Maxime Hinnisdaels (AU) 5-7, 6-0, 6-3
3. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Conner Huertas (AU) 6-2, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2
4. Dante Saleh (AU) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-4, 2-6, 7-5
5. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Joseph Van Dooren (AU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Brandon Laubser (AU) 6-4, 6-4
1. #17 Jordan Daigle/Boris Arias (LSU) def. #52 Marko Krickovic/Edward Nguyen (AU) 6-4
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Brandon Laubser/Conner Huertas (AU) 6-2
3. Maxime Hinnisdaels/Joseph Van Dooren (AU) vs. Gabor Csonka/Andrew Korinek (LSU) 5-4 unfinished
Auburn 8-5; National ranking #66
LSU 7-4; National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,1,6,2,4,3)