BATON ROUGE, La.– The Tigers of LSU, ranked 32th in the nation, fell 4-2 against Tulane, Wednesday at the City Park Pepsi Tennis Center in New Orleans, La.
This is the first time former LSU assistant and now Tulane head coach Mark Booras has gotten a win over the Tigers, now 1-4.
“It started very intense with a very good doubles point and it ended intense with the three setters going on the last three courts,” said Head Coach Jeff Brown. “They were just a little better than we were.”
The Tigers started out in a close doubles competition with victories from courts one and two. The No. 17 duo of Boris Arias and Jordan Daigle broke the way for the doubles wins on court one by securing a 6-3 victory over No. 27 duo Chi-Shan Jao and Dominik Koepfer.
LSU began singles play ahead 1-0 over the Green Wave but had a tough start with Butsch giving up a 6-0, 6-2 match against Constantin Schmitz on court two.
On court four for the Tigers, Sophomore Gabor Csonka took a deciding victory 6-2, 6-0 over Alex Van Cott to give LSU their only singles point. Although eventually falling 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 LSU's Jordan Daigle played a competitive match against the No. 1 singles player, Dominik Koepfer.
“Jordan did well although Koepfer got away from him in the third set,” Head Coach Jeff Brown said. “He gave himself a chance to get to that third set against a guy that’s been dominating everyone. Jordan played at a really high level and, going forward, this is a match he will get a lot out of.”
Arias, the first to finish of the two, dropped the match after a second set comeback, 6-1, 3-6, 6-2. Korinek's match was left unfinished after Tulane sealed the match 4-2.
Friday, the Tigers return home to begin SEC play, facing No. 30 Florida at the LSU Tennis Complex.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs Tulane
Mar 02, 2016 at New Orleans
(City Park Pepsi Tennis Center)
#35 Tulane 4, #32 LSU 2
1. #1 Dominik Koepfer (TLN) def. #42 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
2. Constantin Schmitz (TLN) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-0, 6-2
3. Sebastian Rey (TLN) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
4. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Alex Van Cott (TLN) 6-2, 6-0
5. Chi-Shan Jao (TLN) def. Simon Freund (LSU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Tyler Schick (TLN) vs. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-4, 4-6, 1-3, unfinished
1. #17 Jordan Daigle/Boris Arias (LSU) def. #27 Chi-Shan Jao/Dominik Koepfer (TLN) 6-3
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Ian Van Cott/Alex Van Cott (TLN) 7-5
3. Sebastian Rey/Constantin Schmitz (TLN) def. Andrew Korinek/Gabor Csonka (LSU) 6-3
LSU 6-3; National ranking #32
Tulane 8-3; National ranking #35
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,4,5,1,3)