Men's Tennis Sweeps the Hatters
BATON ROUGE, La. – After a tight match Friday, the No. 37 LSU men’s tennis team (5-2) took Saturday to regroup in order to return home Sunday and secure a 7-0 victory over the Stetson Hatters (4-5) at the LSU Tennis Complex.
As the match progressed into singles, LSU freshman Nikola Samardzic won his first set 6-4 but because of an injury on the Stetson side of the court, Simon Julin had to retire the match, giving LSU the first point in singles.
The Tigers continued through with Simon Freund on court four winning both sets with a score of 6-3 over Graham Ball of Stetson followed by a court two win from Justin Butsch. Butsch played through a close first set 7-6 (8-6) against Pierre Fossier but made a total transformation in the second set to clinch the match with a 6-1 victory.
Although the Tigers won the match in the first three singles courts, LSU continued to play through until the end. No. 42 Jordan Daigle faced Stetson’s Loic Blanco on court one. With a 6-3 first set victory, Daigle came into a close second set competition but pulled out a 7-6 (7-5) win to take LSU to a 5-0 lead over the Hatters.
LSU came down to third set tiebreakers on courts three and six to conclude the match. Boris Arias finished first over fellow senior Tam Trinh with a 7-5, 6-7, 1-0 (10-6) win on court three with Trinh not too far behind. Trinh secured the sweep for his team by taking courts six 6-0, 6-7(8-6), 1-0 (10-2).
The Bayou Bengals take a quick break before returning to the courts at 5 p.m. to take on a solid Lamar team who carries a big win over ULL.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
Stetson vs LSU
2/28/2016 at LSU Tennis Complex (Baton Rouge, La.)
#37 LSU 7, Stetson 0
1. #42 Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. Loic Blanco (STET) 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Pierre Fossier (STET) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
3. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Laurynas Antropikas (STET) 7-5, 6-7 (7-9), 1-0 (10-6)
4. Simon Freund (LSU) def. Graham Ball (STET) 6-3, 6-3
5. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Simon Julin (STET) 6-4 retire
6. Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Gonzalo Arroyo (STET) 6-0, 6-7, 1-0 (10-2)
1. #17 Jordan Daigle/Boris Arias (LSU) def. Loic Blanco/Laurynas Antropikas (STET) 6-4
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Graham Ball/Gonzalo Arroyo (STET) 6-3
3. Simon Freund/Gabor Csonka (LSU) vs. Simon Julin/Pierre Fossier (STET) 4-3
LSU 5-2; National ranking #37
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (5,4,2,1,3,6)