COLLEGE STATION, Tx. – The No. 33 LSU men’s tennis team (14-10, 5-7 SEC) dropped a 5-2 decision to No. 11 Texas A&M (24-7, 8-3 SEC) Friday at the Mitchell Tennis Center to complete their regular season schedule.
“It was actually a very close match, especially getting that doubles point,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “We had some leads that we weren’t able to capitalize but we also had some guys that were behind that fought back. They are a tough team and they fought well today.”
LSU came out fighting against the Aggies on their senior day and managed to take the doubles point despite a 6-1 loss from LSU’s Gabor Csonka and Andrew Korinek to Max Lunkin and Arthur Rinderknech on court three to start the match.
The No. 9 duo of Boris Arias and Jordan Daigle took LSU’s first court in doubles with a 6-3 win over Aleksandre Bakshi and Jackson Withrow on court one. Justin Butsch and Tam Trinh finished the doubles portion by defeating A&M’s Harrison Adams and Shane Vinsant, 6-4.
Going into singles, LSU fought hard against a tough top-ranked opponent. Although the Tigers fell in first sets in four of their six singles competition, four of them were forced to a seventh game.
Butsch got the only singles win for his team defeating No. 52 Vinsant, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3).
Up next for Tiger Tennis, LSU heads to Columbia, S.C., to take part in the SEC tournament, which begins Wednesday.
“We are looking forward to the SEC tournament. We are going back home, getting some work done and then going in there to see what we can do,” Brown said.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs Texas A&M
Apr 15, 2016 at College Station, TX (George P Mitchell Tennis Center)
#11 Texas A&M 5, #33 LSU 2
1. #16 Arthur Rinderknech (TAMU) def. #48 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. #102 Justin Butsch (LSU) def. #52 Shane Vinsant (TAMU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
3. Jordi Arconada (TAMU) def. Gabor Csonka (LSU) 7-5, 6-3
4. AJ Catanzariti (TAMU) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-7 (5-7), 6-4, 6-3
5. Harrison Adams (TAMU) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Max Lunkin (TAMU) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 7-5, 7-5
1. #9 Boris Arias/Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. Aleksandre Bakshi/Jackson Withrow (TAMU) 6-3
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Harrison Adams/Shane Vinsant (TAMU) 6-4
3. Max Lunkin/Arthur Rinderknech (TAMU) def. Gabor Csonka/Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-1
LSU 14-10, 5-7; National ranking #33
Texas A&M 25-8, 8-4; National ranking #11
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,1,3,6,2,4)