BATON ROUGE, La. – The No. 44 LSU Men’s tennis team defeated the Brown Bears 4-0 Tuesday at the LSU Tennis Complex. This win brings LSU to a 10-8 record (2-5 SEC) along with Brown now resting at 8-11.
“It was a good team win today coming back in the doubles a bit and keeping our composure,” Head Coach Jeff Brown said. “We had some guys really able to dominate going out of conference. In conference you don’t get as many of those opportunities so it was good for them to get a reminder of what they can do. We look forward to going back to practice and getting ready for South Carolina.”
The Tigers started the match in a close doubles competition but ultimately took the doubles point with victories on courts one and three. Boris Arias and Jordan Daigle took a 6-3 win on court one followed by a 7-5 win on court three from Andrew Korinek and Gabor Csonka.
As the match continued, LSU excelled in singles. The team, taking charge after a close doubles point, was able to get first set wins on all but court five. The Tigers saw a court six win from Korinek to start the singles victories, putting LSU at a 2-0 lead over the Bears.
The team looked to find wins on two of the five remaining courts. On court four, newcomer Nikola Samardzic got an opportunity to add a win to his 6-3 LSU record, marking his first victory in that position.
Seconds after his teammate gave LSU a 3-0 advantage, Daigle clinched the match on court one, 6-3, 6-4. Daigle’s win ends his eight-match losing streak.
LSU will face the Gamecocks at the LSU Tennis Complex at 5:30 p.m. Friday with a free giveaway of LSU tennis mouse pads.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
Brown vs LSU
3/29/2016 at Baton Rouge, LA (LSU Tennis Complex)
#44 LSU 4, Brown 0
1. #69 Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. Gregory Garcia (BROWN) 6-3, 6-4
2. Justin Butsch (LSU) vs. Peter Tarwid (BROWN) 6-4, 3-4, unfinished
3. Simon Freund (LSU) vs. Jack Haworth (BROWN) 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
4. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) def. Mladen Mitak (BROWN) 6-3, 6-1
5. Boris Arias (LSU) vs. Charles Tan (BROWN) 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
6. Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Aaron Sandberg (BROWN) 6-3, 6-2
1. #10 Boris Arias/Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. Gregory Garcia/Peter Tarwid (BROWN) 6-3
2. Jack Haworth/Charles Tan (BROWN) def. Tam Trinh/Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-3
3. Gabor Csonka/Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Aaron Sandberg/Mladen Mitak (BROWN) 7-5
LSU 10-8 (2-5 SEC); National ranking #44
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,4,1)