Tiger Tennis Takes a 5-2 Win Over Vanderbilt
NASHVILLE, Tenn. – LSU's Andrew Korinek clinched on court six, Sunday at the Currey Tennis Center to give No. 48 LSU (9-8, 2-5 SEC) a 5-2 win over No. 49 Vanderbilt (12-9, 3-3 SEC).
“Very proud of the team,” Head Coach Jeff Brown said. “They’ve been continuously putting pieces together and hadn’t gotten rewarded for it as much as they should have. I think they’ve really stuck together as a team and this is a very good win to build on and to put us going in the right direction.”
LSU leading 1-0 heading to singles let the Commodores tie it up after No. 67 Daniel Valent got a 6-1, 6-1 victory over LSU’s No. 69 Daigle.
Simon Freund, although going to a third set after falling 6-2 in the first, couldn’t quite finish his opponent on court four giving a 6-2, 4-6, 2-6 win to Vanderbilt’s Baker Newman.
With LSU ahead 3-2, Korinek got a clutch three set win on court six to secure the victory for his team. This marks LSU’s second conference win after defeating the Commodores. LSU now puts Vanderbilt’s four match win streak to a halt.
Arias continued play on court five after Korinek clinched, winning 7-6, to give LSU a 5-2 overall win over Vanderbilt. LSU returns home Tuesday to face Brown at 3 p.m. CT.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs Vanderbilt
Mar 27, 2016 at NASHVILLE, Tenn. (Currey Tennis Center)
#48 LSU 5, #49 Vanderbilt 2
1. #67 Daniel Valent (VANDY) def. #69 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Rhys Johnson (VANDY) 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
3. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Cameron Klinger (VANDY) 6-3, 6-3
4. Baker Newman (VANDY) def. Simon Freund (LSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-2
5. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Kris Yee (VANDY) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
6. Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Alex Ross (VANDY) 6-1, 6-7, 6-2
1. #33 Cameron Klinger/Rhys Johnson (VANDY) def. #10 Boris Arias/Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-2
2. Tam Trinh/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Tate Allwardt/Baker Newman (VANDY) 6-2
3. Gabor Csonka/Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Daniel Valent/Pen Binet (VANDY) 6-4
LSU 8-8; National ranking #48
Vanderbilt 12-8; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)