LSU Tennis Defeated By Arkansas, 5-2
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – LSU, in Sunday’s match versus Arkansas, took a 5-2 loss to the Razorbacks at the Billingsley Tennis Center.
Arkansas came into today’s match with momentum from their Friday win over No. 7 Texas A&M. This win over the Tigers gives the Razorbacks a three-win streak in the SEC.
“The doubles point, it was tough but we responded pretty well and really came out firing on most courts,” Head Coach Jeff Brown said. “We got some good leads but they did a good job of responding to that momentum that we had. Ultimately they’re playing really well and we are sort of down at the moment. We are looking to rebuild, getting back home this week. “
The Tigers had a difficult start by dropping the doubles point. In doubles, LSU’s Andrew Korinek and Gabor Csonka fell, 6-3 on court three to begin the match. The last two courts, both playing tight matches, had to play a tiebreaker on court one. The Tiger duo of Justin Butsch and Tam Trinh won court two, 7-5 but LSU’s court one team of Boris Arias and Jordan Daigle missed the mark, going down 7-6 (9-7).
As the team advanced into singles, LSU lost their first two courts in straight sets, giving Arkansas a 3-0 lead. Daigle, fighting on court one, took his match to a second set tiebreaker after falling 6-4 in the first set. He ultimately fell 7-6 (7-0) in his second set after a good fight.
With the Razorbacks up 4-0, the match played the final three singles courts. The Tigers were able to get two points with wins from Justin Butsch and Boris Arias to bring the score to 5-2, final.
The Tigers return home for a match versus Alabama, Friday.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
Tennis Match Results
LSU vs Arkansas
Mar 13, 2016 at Fayetteville, Ark. (Billingsley Tennis Center)
#32 Arkansas 5, #43 LSU 2
1. #43 Mike Redlicki (AR) def. #102 Jordan Daigle (LSU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-0)
2. Jose Salazar (AR) def. #106 Gabor Csonka (LSU) 6-3, 6-1
3. Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Santiago Munoz (AR) 6-2, 3-6, 6-1
4. Giammarco Micolani (AR) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. Boris Arias (LSU) def. Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
6. Johan den Toom (AR) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
1. #31 Giammarco Micolani/Mike Redlicki (AR) def. #8 Boris Arias/Jordan Daigle (LSU) 7-6 (9-7)
2. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Jose Salazar/Adam Sanjurjo (AR) 7-5
3. Santiago Munoz/Johan den Toom (AR) def. Gabor Csonka/Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-3
LSU 8-6 (1-3 SEC); National ranking #43
Arkansas 13-3 (3-1 SEC); National ranking #32
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,1,3,6,5)