Tennis Wins Close Match Over North Florida
BATON ROUGE, La.– The No. 37 LSU men’s tennis team, in a tight match against No. 75 North Florida, came out victorious with a 4-3 victory, clinched by Andrew Korinek.
Korinek fought through a close match against Zach Goldberg of North Florida. After winning the first set 6-3, Korinek dropped the second set 3-6 and the pressure was on. With only two matches left in play, Korinek pulled ahead in the third set 3-2. Korinek’s ability to finish his opponent 6-4 in the third set kept the match from falling to court six to find the victory.
“It would have been a long couple of days had Andrew (Korinek) not come up big,” Head Coach Jeff Brown said. “We certainly made it a little more difficult on ourselves, we didn’t play good in a couple of spots today. It was a strange match with the potential of a lot of pressure falling onto a freshman but fortunately a senior came through.”
Justin Butsch missed the mark tonight for the Tigers after last week’s successful matches in the LSU home opener. Butsch clinched both matches against Drake and Nicholls but began with a score of 0-6 against North Florida. After regrouping, his second set started off much more promising but he couldn’t quite come from behind, falling 3-6 against Yannick Zuern.
LSU did see a solid singles performance from Sophomore Gabor Csonka. His 6-0, 6-1 victory on court four began the match in singles. Along with Csonka, Jordan Daigle took a significant win on court one over Julian Bradley 6-2, 6-1.
LSU returns home Sunday for a doubleheader against Stetson at noon followed by Lamar at 5 p.m.
For up-to-date information and behind-the-scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
North Florida vs LSU
2/26/2016 at LSU Tennis Complex (Baton Rouge, La.)
#37 LSU 4, #75 North Florida 3
1. #42 Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. Julian Bradley (UNF) 6-2, 6-1
2. Yannick Zuern (UNF) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Lasse Muscheites (UNF) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
4. Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Jonathan Deautriell (UNF) 6-0, 6-1
5. Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Zach Goldberg (UNF) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
6. Sahil Deshmukh (UNF) def. Nikola Samardzic (LSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
1. #17 Boris Arias/Jordan Daigle (LSU) def. Zach Goldberg/Lasse Muscheites (UNF) 6-3
2. Tam Trinh/Justin Butsch (LSU) vs. Julian Bradley/Yannick Zuern (UNF) 5-4
3. Andrew Korinek/Gabor Csonka (LSU) def. Sahil Deshmukh/Jonathan Deautriell (UNF) 6-3
North Florida 2-7; National ranking #75
LSU 4-2; National ranking #37
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,2,1,3,5,6)