COLUMBIA, Mo. – The No. 57 LSU women’s tennis team defeated Missouri 6-1 on Friday afternoon in Columbia Mo.
“I thought the team did a very good job of handling some adverse conditions today,” said LSU head coach Julia Sell. “It was very windy, but our team stayed determined. This Missouri team fought hard and that is a credit to their coach, Sasha (Schmid), and how she has grown this program.”
The Lady Tigers are now 8-6 (1-4 SEC) on the season, while Missouri falls to 5-11 (0-5 SEC).
On court three in doubles, Gabrielle Otero and Abigail Owens extended their win streak to six matches as they topped Tracy Dong and Kelli Hine 8-3.
Joana Vale Costa and partner Skylar Holloway then defeated Madison Rhyner and Cassidy Spearman 8-6 on court two to give LSU a 1-0 lead heading into singles.
With these two wins, the Lady Tigers are now 19-12 on the season in doubles matches.
In singles, Holloway garnered another point for the Lady Tigers as she topped Missouri’s Dong 6-2, 6-3.
Ella Taylor then secured a victory over Missouri’s Spearman as she won 6-4, 6-2.
Owens clinched the match for LSU as she defeated Rhyner 6-0, 7-6 (7-2) on court four. Owens has now won five of her last six matches for the Lady Tigers.
“Abby (Owens) is a great competitor,” said Sell. “She made the decision early on in the season to keep improving, and you are seeing the results from her hard work.”
On court three, LSU’s Otero won a thrilling three-setter over Rachel Stuhlmann 5-7, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (10-8).
On court two, LSU’s Scott got off to a slow start as she fell in the first set. She settled in, however, and came back to top Hine 3-6, 6-2, 6-3.
On court one, Vale Costa met defeat 6-3, 5-7, 6-3 at the hands of Cierra Gaytan-Leach.
The Lady Tigers take the court again on Sunday, March 16 as they face No. 7 Texas A&M at noon CT in College Station, Texas.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#57 LSU 6, Mizzou 1
1. Cierra Gaytan-Leach (MU) def. #69 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
2. Noel Scott (LSU) def. Kelli Hine (MU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-3
3. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) 5-7, 7-6 (7-2), 1-0 (10-8)
4. Abby Owens (LSU) def. Madison Rhyner (MU) 6-0, 7-6 (7-2)
5. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Cassidy Spearman (MU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Tracy Dong (MU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Cierra Gaytan-Leach/Rachel Stuhlmann (MU) vs. Noel Scott/Ariel Morton (LSU) 7-3, unfinished
2. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Madison Rhyner/Cassidy Spearman (MU) 8-6
3. Abby Owens/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Tracy Dong/Kelli Hine (MU) 8-3