Lady Tigers Tennis Drops 4-1 Match at South Carolina
COLUMBIA, S.C. – Abigail Owens won her 10th singles match of the season as the No. 49 LSU women’s tennis team fell 4-1 to No. 65 South Carolina on Friday in Columbia, S.C.
The Lady Tigers are now 9-9 (2-7 SEC) while South Carolina improves to 11-8 (2-6 SEC).
LSU’s Owens split the first two sets on court three, but the freshman came out strong in the third set to capture her first victory over a ranked opponent as she defeated No. 122 Brigit Folland 6-3, 2-6, 6-3.
On court four, Gabrielle Otero suffered a 6-3, 6-0 setback to Meghan Blevins, while Noel Scott fell to Katerina Popava 6-4, 6-2 on court 2. On court five, Ella Taylor then met defeat 6-3, 6-2 at the hands of Caroline Dailey.
In doubles, Skylar Holloway and partner Otero fell to No. 54 Elixane Lechemia and Dominika Kanakova 8-2 on court one, while Lady Tigers Scott and Taylor dropped an 8-4 decision to Caroline Dailey and Brigit Folland on court three as the Gamecocks captured the doubles point.
The Lady Tigers take the court again on Sunday, March 30 as they face No. 4 Florida in Gainesville, Fla. at noon CT.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#65 South Carolina 4, #49 LSU 1
1. #117 Elixane Lechemia (SC) vs. #88 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 6-1, 4-6, 5-2, unfinished
2. Katerina Popova (SC) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. #122 Brigit Folland (SC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
4. Meghan Blevins (SC) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 6-3, 6-0
5. Caroline Dailey (SC) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ximena Siles Luna (SC) vs. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 3-3, unfinished
1. #54 Elixane Lechemia/Dominika Kanakova (SC) def. Skylar Holloway/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 8-2
2. Meghan Blevins/Katerina Popova (SC) vs. Abigail Owens/Joana Vale Costa (LSU) 7-2, unfinished
3. Caroline Dailey/Brigit Folland (SC) def. Noel Scott/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-4