Women's Tennis Wins SEC Finale; Beats JSU
BATON ROUGE – Gabrielle Otero captured her tenth win of the season on Saturday as the LSU women’s tennis team topped Arkansas, 4-1, and Jackson State, 4-0, in their final home matches of the season.
“I thought the girls did a really good job today,” said LSU head coach Julia S. Sell. “I thought they showed a lot of heart. I think we wanted it more and in the end I think that’s what showed through.”
LSU is now 12-12 (3-10 SEC) on the season. Arkansas falls to 13-15 (2-11 SEC) on the season, while Jackson State now holds a 4-13 record.
In the first match, the Lady Tigers topped Arkansas in their final SEC match of the regular season.
Otero secured LSU’s first point of the match as she defeated Brittany Huxley 6-2, 6-3 on court six. Noel Scott then topped Yang Pang 6-2, 6-4 on court two as the Lady Tigers took a 2-1 lead over the Razorbacks.
Skylar Holloway extended LSU’s advantage to 3-1 as she secured a 7-6 (1), 6-3 victory over Kimberley-Ann Surin, while Abigail Owens knocked off Sarah McClean 6-2, 7-5 to clinch the match for the Lady Tigers.
Arkansas took the doubles point as LSU’s Owens and Otero fell to Sarah McLean and Flavia Araujo on court three, while Ariel Morton and Scott dropped an 8-3 decision to Shannon Hudson and Kimberley-Ann Surin on court one.
LSU concluded its doubleheader with a nightcap against Jackson State. Jackson State forfeited court three in doubles and courts five and six in singles.
The match began with doubles play as LSU’s Owens and Otero garnered an 8-1 victory over Anastasiia Zviahintseva and Julie Angermann to secure the doubles point.
Taylor then clinched the match for the Lady Tigers as she topped Anastasiia Zviahintseva 6-1, 6-0.
LSU will take the court again this week as they compete in the SEC tournament. A schedule for the tournament will be released Sunday night.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#58 LSU 4, #50 Arkansas 1
1. #110 Joana Vale Costa (LSU) vs. Shannon Hudson (AR) 6-0, 4-6, unfinished
2. Noel Scott (LSU) def. Yang Pang (AR) 6-2, 6-4
3. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Sarah McLean (AR) 6-2, 7-5
4. Ella Taylor (LSU) vs. Olek. Shkorupeieva (AR) 6-4, 1-6, 2-4, unfinished
5. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Kimberley-Ann Surin (AR) 7-6 (7-1), 6-3
6. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Brittany Huxley (AR) 6-3, 6-2
1. Shannon Hudson/Kimberley-Ann Surin (AR) def. Noel Scott/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-3
2. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) vs. Yang Pang/Brittany Huxley (AR) 5-7, unfinished
3. Sarah McLean/Flavia Araujo (AR) def. Gabrielle Otero/Abigail Owens (LSU) 8-5
#58 LSU 4, Jackson State 0
1. Noel Scott (LSU) vs. Angela Condorelli (JSU) 6-2, 4-1, unfinished
2. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Anast. Zviahintseva (JSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) vs. Akshatha Ananth (JSU) 6-1, 2-1, unfinished
4. Ariel Morton (LSU) vs. Julie Angermann (JSU) 5-4, unfinished
5. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. No player (JSU), by forfeit
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. No player (JSU), by forfeit
1. Noel Scott/Ella Taylor (LSU) vs. Akshatha Ananth/Angela Condorelli (JSU) 7-2, unfinished
2. Gabrielle Otero/Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Anast. Zviahintseva/Julie Angermann (JSU) 8-1
3. Skylar Holloway/Ariel Morton (LSU) def. No player/No player (JSU), by forfeit