BATON ROUGE – The No. 58 LSU women’s tennis team went 2-0 on the day as they defeated No. 72 Northwestern State 5-0 and McNeese State 5-2 on Sunday in their second double header of the season.
The Lady Tigers improved to 7-2 on the season after these two matches, while Northwestern State fell to 2-3 on the season and McNeese State fell to 2-3.
“Northwestern State and McNeese State are both two very solid teams that I thought competed really well,” said LSU Head Coach Julia Sell. “We needed those kind of matches, our freshmen especially. I think they got better as the day went on. They need to learn how to maintain that level and that intensity for two solid matches.”
Skylar Holloway used momentum from her three-set match clincher on Friday to capture two victories on Sunday, defeating Northwestern State’s Daniela Simonova 6-1, 6-2 and McNeese State’s Annabelle Peacock 6-2, 6-2.
The Lady Tigers were once again strong in doubles as they captured the doubles point against Northwestern State.
LSU’s Abigail Owens and Gabrielle Otero got off to a slow start on court three, but the duo settled in to defeat Aliona Ladutska and Amy Williams 8-4.
On court one, Joana Vale Costa and partner Skylar Holloway captured a victory and secured the doubles point for LSU as they took down Northwestern State’s Polina Kolop and Tatiana Larina 8-2.
In singles play, LSU’s Otero topped Kateryna Piatakona in straight sets 6-2, 6-1 on court three, while Vale Costa secured another win on court one as she beat Tatiana Larina 6-1, 6-0.
On court five, Owens secured the match for LSU as she defeated Aliona Ladutska 6-2, 6-1 while Holloway increased the Lady Tigers’ score to 5-0 with her 6-1, 6-2 victory over Daniela Simonova.
The Lady Tigers returned to the court for a nightcap against McNeese State.
In doubles against McNeese State, LSU’s Holloway and Vale Costa defeated Klaudia Gawlik and Sara Castellano 8-5 while Scott and Taylor clinched the match for the Lady Tigers with a 8-3 victory over Vivien Borbely and Anastasia Surkova.
In singles, LSU’s Vale Costa defeated Gawlick on court one after the match was retired due to illness.
On court four, LSU’s Owens topped Borbely 6-2, 6-1, while Taylor took down Surkova 6-3, 6-1 on court five.
On court three, LSU’s Otero fell to Julia Kral in a third set tiebreaker 1-6, 6-1, 1-0 (3), while Scott fell to Castellano on court two after the match was retired due to an injury.
The Lady Tigers take the court again on February 26 at 3 p.m. CST as they take on Tulane University in a Wednesday afternoon matchup in W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#58 LSU 5, #72 Northwestern State 0
1. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Tatiana Larina (NWLA) 6-1, 6-0
2. Noel Scott (LSU) vs. Polina Konop (NWLA) 7-5, 4-0, unfinished
3. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Kateryna Piatakova (NWLA) 6-2, 6-1
4. Ella Taylor (LSU) vs. Natalya Krutova (NWLA) 6-5, unfinished
5. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Aliona Ladutska (NWLA) 6-0, 6-1
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Daniela Simonova (NWLA) 6-1, 6-2
1. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Polina Konop/Tatiana Larina (NWLA) 8-2
2. Noel Scott/Ella Taylor (LSU) vs. Kateryna Piatakova/Natalya Krutova (NWLA) 6-5, unfinished
3. Abigail Owens/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Aliona Ladutska/Amy Williams (NWLA) 8-4
#58 LSU 5, McNeese 2
1. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Klaudia Gawlik (MCN) 6-2, 1-0 (4), retired
2. Sara Castellano (MCN) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 6-3, retired
3. Julia Kral (MCN) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 1-6, 6-1, 1-0
4. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Vivien Borbely (MCN) 6-2, 6-1
5. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Anastasia Surkova (MCN) 6-3, 6-1
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Annabelle Peacock (MCN) 6-2, 6-2
1. Skylar Holloway/Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Klaudia Gawlik/Sara Castellano (MCN) 8-5
2. Noel Scott/Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Anastasia Surkova/Vivien Borbely (MCN) 8-3
3. Abigail Owens/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) vs. Julia Kral/Annabelle Peacock (MCN) 7-4, unfinished