Women's Tennis Drops Regular-Season Finale
FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – The LSU women’s tennis team (8-15; 1-12 SEC) concluded the regular season with a 6-1 loss to the No.49 University of Arkansas (12-14; 4-9 SEC) Saturday at 1 p.m. CT at Billingsley Tennis Center.
“It was a good battle,” head coach Julia S. Sell said. “Arkansas is a very good team. The girls continue to compete and give 100 percent. We’ve had a lot of tough matches and taken some tough losses. We’re still battling. We haven’t played our best tennis yet. We’re working to build some momentum into the SEC tournament and get some wins there.”
The Razorbacks kicked off the day with two wins in doubles, as the pair of Ariel Morton and Mary Jeremiah fell 8-1 to Arkansas’ Brittany Huxley and Yang Pang in the top spot before the Kaitlin Burns and Ella Taylor duo faced an 8-2 court-three loss against the Raxorbacks’ Kimberley-Ann Surin and Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez.
Arkansas carried its success into singles, as the Razorbacks’ No. 78 Claudine Paulson marked a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Taylor on court two. Senior Frankenberger followed with a 6-2, 6-0 triumph over the Razorbacks’ Hernandez on court three, notching LSU’s lone point of the day.
A series of Razorback victories wrapped up the day’s competition. Morton faced a 6-1, 6-2 loss to Arkansas’ Surin on court five before Ebie Wilson fell 6-2, 6-2 to the Razorbacks’ Surin.
Following No. 123 Kaitlin Burns’ 6-2, 6-2 loss in the top spot against the Razorbacks’ 46th-ranked Pang, Arkansas scored the final point of the day on court three as Jeremiah marked a 6-2, 6-4 loss to the Razorbacks’ Sarah McLean.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#49 ARKANSAS 6, #63 LSU 1
1. #46 Yang Pang (ARK) def. #123 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. #78 Claudine Paulson (ARK) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Sarah McLean (ARK) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
4. Kimberley-Ann Surin (ARK) def. Ariel Morton (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
5. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) 6-2, 6-0
6. Brittany Huxley (ARK) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Brittany Huxley/Yang Pang (ARK) def. Ariel Morton/Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 8-1
2. Claudine Paulson/Sarah McLean (ARK) vs. Keri Frankenberger/Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-5, unfinished
3. Kimberley-Ann Surin/Ana Lorena Belmar Hernandez (ARK) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-2
LSU 8-15, 1-12 SEC; National ranking #63
ARKANSAS 12-14, 4-9 SEC; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,5,4,6,1,3)