BATON ROUGE, La. – The LSU Lady Tigers (8-11; 1-8 SEC) took a 4-0 loss against the No. 2 University of Florida (14-2; 7-1 SEC) Friday at W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
“(Florida is) a well-coached team,” head coach Julia S. Sell said. “They’re two-time defending national champions. I thought our team competed hard, and I thought we did well. Florida fights through every point. They never give up, they never give you room to breathe, they track down every ball and they’re very physically strong in the corners. We’re going to take it, learn from it and move forward.”
The Gators clinched the doubles point on courts one and three. The duo of Kaitlin Burns and Ella Taylor faced an 8-0 loss in the No. 3 position to Florida’s Danielle Collins and Olivia Janowicz before the pair of Mary Jeremiah and Ariel Morton fell 8-5 in the top spot to the Gators’ 20th-ranked doubles team of Lauren Embree and Sofie Oyen.
Before the point was clinched, Keri Frankenberger and Ebie Wilson held a 4-4 tie on court two against the Gators’ Caroline Hitimana and Brianna Morgan.
Florida’s success continued into singles as Frankenberger fell 6-1, 6-1 on court six to Florida’s No. 115 Collins. Despite taking a 4-2 lead in the second set, Jeremiah ultimately fell 6-3, 6-4 to the Gators’ 12th-ranked Oyen in the No. 2 position.
Competition was ended after the Gators clinched the match on court five, as Florida’s No. 125 Hitimana claimed a 6-1, 6-2 victory over Wilson.
Burns took on the top-ranked player in the nation on court one, Embree; Taylor battled Florida’s No.107 Morgan in the No. 3 spot and Morton faced the Gators’ No. 118 Janowicz on court four. The matches were left unfinished after the day’s winner was decided.
LSU will next host No. 31 South Carolina for Senior Day on Sunday in the Lady Tigers’ final home match of the season.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#2 Florida 4, #54 LSU 0
1. #114 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) vs. #1 Lauren Embree (FLORIDA) 2-6, 2-5, unfinished
2. #12 Sofie Oyen (FLORIDA) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-3, 6-4
3. Ella Taylor (LSU) vs. #107 Brianna Morgan (FLORIDA) 1-6, 3-4, unfinished
4. Ariel Morton (LSU) vs. #118 Olivia Janowicz (FLORIDA) 5-7, 0-4, unfinished
5. #125 Caroline Hitimana (FLORIDA) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-1, 6-2
6. #115 Danielle Collins (FLORIDA) def. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #20 Lauren Embree/Sofie Oyen (FLORIDA) def. Mary Jeremiah/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-5
2. Keri Frankenberger/Ebie Wilson (LSU) vs. Caroline Hitimana/Brianna Morgan (FLORIDA) 4-4, unfinished
3. Danielle Collins/Olivia Janowicz (FLORIDA) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-0
Florida 14-2, 7-1 SEC; National ranking #2
LSU 8-11, 1-8 SEC; National ranking #54
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (6,2,5)