Women's Tennis Falls at No. 7 Georgia, 6-1
ATHENS, Ga. - The LSU women's tennis team (10-7, 3-3 SEC) dropped a 6-1 decision to the seventh-ranked Georgia Bulldogs (15-2, 5-1 SEC) at the Dan Magill tennis complex on Sunday.
Olivia Howlett earned LSU's point by battling back from a set down to win her fourth-consecutive singles match 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7) over No. 51 Lauren Herring on court two. Howlett is now 7-2 on court two this season, including two-straight against opponents ranked inside the top-55.
"We played well today, Georgia is just a really good team," LSU head coach Tony Minnis said. "We had a good week overall though, so now we just need to get ready for next weekend."
Georgia began the afternoon with a doubles sweep to take an early 1-0 lead.
Lilly Kimbell and Maho Kowase topped Ariel Morton and Kaitlin Burns 8-3, on court three.
Lauren Herring and Kate Fuller then clinched the doubles point 8-3, over Howlett and Yvette Vlaar on court two.
Whitney Wolf and Keri Frankenberger lost 8-4 to Chelsey Gullickson and Nadja Gilchrist on court one to close out doubles competition.
Kimbell earned a late break to take the first set against Vlaar and she never looked back, winning 7-5, 6-0 on court six to give Georgia a 2-0 lead in the dual match.
Keri Frankenberger went down 6-2, 6-3 to No. 40 Maho Kowase on court four to bring the Bulldogs within a point of clinching the match.
Nadja Gilchrist then gave Georgia the overall match with a 7-5, 6-2 victory over Kaitlin Burns on court three.
Wolf could not overcome No. 8 Gullickson 6-2, 7-5 on court one, and No. 69 Kate Fuller toppled Ebie Wilson 6-3, 7-6 (2) on court five.
LSU returns home to host a pair of SEC West opponents next weekend, against Mississippi State on Friday at 3 p.m. CT and No. 19 Ole Miss Sunday at noon.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and on www.facebook.com/lsuwten.
#7 Georgia 6, #49 LSU 1
1. #8 Chelsey Gullickson (UG) def. Whitney Wolf (LSU) 6-2, 7-5
2. Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. #51 Lauren Herring (UG) 3-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-7)
3. Nadja Gilchrist (UG) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 7-5, 6-2
4. #40 Maho Kowase (UG) def. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
5. #69 Kate Fuller (UG) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
6. Lilly Kimbell (UG) def. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 7-5, 6-0
1. Chelsey Gullickson/Nadja Gilchrist (UG) def. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 8-4
2. Lauren Herring/Kate Fuller (UG) def. Olivia Howlett/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) 8-2
3. Lilly Kimbell/Maho Kowase (UG) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-3
LSU 10-7, 3-3 SEC; National ranking #49
Georgia 15-2, 5-1 SEC; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,3,1,5,2)