Women’s Tennis Earns Weekend Split, 4-3
BATON ROUGE - The LSU Lady Tigers tennis team (7-4, 2-2 SEC) pulled out a 4-3 victory over Auburn (7-5, 2-2 SEC) at W.T. Dub Robinson Stadium on Sunday Afternoon.
"I'm really impressed with the way these girls continue to fight hard," LSU head coach Tony Minnis said. "This was another match where multiple courts found a way to fight back. I'm really proud of the effort, we played great and we just need to keep it rolling."
Whitney Wolf and Keri Frankenberger began the day by cruising to an 8-1 victory over Jackie Kasler and Emily Flickinger on court one. The tandem is 7-3 in their last ten appearances together.
Olivia Howlett and Yvette Vlaar then clinched the doubles point on court two with an 8-5 win over Olivia Bennett and Jen Pfeifler.
Ebie Wilson and Ariel Morton dropped their match on court three to Plamena Kurteva and Taylor Schreimann.
Howlett kept the momentum going for LSU as she opened singles play with a straight-set 6-2, 6-4 triumph over Pfeifler on court one. The senior responded to falling behind 4-0 in the second set by winning the final six games of the stanza to take the match going away. She is 7-3 in her last ten matches including a 3-1 record on court one.
Flickinger overcame Wolf on court two 6-4, 6-2 to get Auburn on the board in the overall match. Kurteva then toppled Kaitlin Burns 6-2, 6-4 on court three to even the match at 2-2.
Yvette Vlaar notched her 30th career match victory over Schreimann on court six 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 to bring LSU a point away from clinching the match. She is 7-3 in her most recent 10 matches.
Frankenberger saved three match points on court five as she clinched the match for LSU with a 4-6, 6-1, 6-3 victory against Olivia Bennett.
Wilson then lost 5-7, 6-4, 6-1 to Jackie Kasler on court four to finish the day's action.
The Lady Tigers will hit the road for their next match at Tulsa on Wednesday at noon CT.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and on www.facebook.com/lsuwten.
#51 LSU 4, #75 Auburn 3
1. Olivia Howlett (LSU) def. Jen Pfeifler (AUB) 6-2, 6-4.
2. Emily Flickinger (AUB) def. Whitney Wolf (LSU) 6-4, 6-2.
3. Plamena Kurteva (AUB) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-2, 6-4.
4. Jackie Kasler (AUB) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-1.
5. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Olivia Bennett (AUB) 6-7 (5-7), 7-6 (7-5), 6-1.
6. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Taylor Schreimann (AUB) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3.
1. Whitney Wolf/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Jackie Kasler/Emily Flickinger (AUB) 8-1
2. Olivia Howlett/Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Olivia Bennett/Jen Pfeifler (AUB) 8-5
3. Plamena Kurteva/Taylor Schreimann (AUB) def. Ariel Morton/Ebie Wilson (LSU) 8-6
Auburn 7-5; National ranking #75
LSU 7-4; National ranking #51
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (1,2,3,6,5,4)