Women's Tennis Falls to Texas A&M, 5-2
BATON ROUGE - The LSU Lady Tigers tennis team (1-1) lost a hard-fought match against the Texas A&M Aggies (2-1) on a windy day at the W.T. "Dub" Robinson Tennis Stadium on Sunday.
"Today we had a tough result against a good team," LSU head coach Tony Minnis said. "Texas A&M's top two players make up one of the best one-two punches in the country. I still like this team's potential because we are just in the early part of a very long season, so we just need to keep working hard to improve."
The Aggies got off to a strong start taking the doubles point with wins in all three of the doubles matches. Olivia Howlett and Yvette Vlaar fell to Janine Erasmus and Nazari Urbina 8-5 on court two to start the day off. Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar and Sun Wen then defeated Whitney Wolf and Keri Frankenberger 8-5 on court one to clinch the doubles point for Texas A&M.
Ebie Wilson and Kaitlin Burns fell 7-6 (7-2) to Lauren Santacroce and Sheri Olivier to finish the doubles portion of the match on court three.
Sanchez-Quintanar, the No. 11 ranked player in the nation, began singles play with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Olivia Howlett on court two.
No. 61 Sun Wen then prevailed over Kaitlin Burns 7-5, 6-1 on court three before Frankenberger put LSU on the board with a 6-4, 6-4 victory over Janine Erasmus on court five. The win brings the Gainesville, Fla., native to 35-33 in her career as a Lady Tiger, and it was her fourth win on court five and her second in a row.
No. 105 Nazari Urbina then clinched the match for the Aggies with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Whitney Wolf on court one.
Yvette Vlaar earned the Lady Tigers second point of the match fighting back from a first-set deficit to triumph 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 over Sheri Olivier on court six, taking the LSU sophomore one match away from 25 career wins.
The day ended with a grueling 13-11 third-set "super tiebreaker" with Lauren Santacroce outlasting Ebie Wilson after they split the first two sets 2-6, 6-3.
The Lady Tigers will have little time to rest before their next match as they will take to the "Dub" Robinson courts for a double header on Tuesday against Rice at 2 p.m. CT before they face Southern at 6 p.m.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and on www.facebook.com/lsuwten.
#30 Texas A&M 5, #65 LSU 2
1. No. 105 Nazari Urbina (Texas A&M)) def. Whitney Wolf (LSU) 6-3, 6-3.
2. No. 11 Cristina Sanchez-Quintanar (Texas A&M) def. Olivia Howlett (LSU) 6-4, 6-1.
3. Sun Wen (Texas A&M) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 7-5, 6-1.
4. Lauren Santacroce (Texas A&M) def. Ebie Wilson (LSU) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (13-11).
5. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Janine Erasmus (Texas A&M) 6-4, 6-4.
6. Yvette Vlaar (LSU) def. Sheri Olivier (Texas A&M) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3.
1. Sanchez-Quintanar/Wen (Texas A&M) def. Frankenberger/Wolf (LSU) 8-5.
2. Erasmus/Urbina (Texas A&M) def. Howlett/Vlaar (LSU) 8-5
3. Santacroce/Olivier (Texas A&M) def. Burns/Wilson (LSU) 7-6 (2).
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (2,3,5,1,6,4)
Texas A&M 2-1