BATON ROUGE, La. - The Lady Tigers (2-0) notched wins in both matches of their home opening double header, defeating the Northwestern State Demons (0-1) and the Southern Jaguars (0-1).
"That first match (against Northwestern State) was a five hour match and they're a very good team," head coach Julia S. Sell said. "Southern also fought hard, and it pushed us to our limits. (LSU) battled through and did a good job, and I'm proud of them for the work ethic and intensity they put into it."
The first two doubles matches of the day were split between the Demons and the Lady Tigers, after the senior pair of Ebie Wilson and Keri Frankenberger took a quick 8-1 win over Amy Williams and Vanja Bogetic of Northwestern State and the duo of Kaitlin Burns and Caroline Hudson fell to Northwestern State's Tatiana Larina and Andrea Nedorostova 8-4.
With the pressure on Ariel Morton and Mary Jeremiah to secure the doubles point, the pair fought through a nail-biting tiebreaker but ultimately faced a 8-7 (7-4) loss.
Wilson instantly got LSU on the board with a shut-out 6-0, 6-0 singles performance on court six over Vanja Bogetic, winning her match before any other court completed the first set.
Freshmen Hudson and Ella Taylor followed with two more wins for the Tigers, as Hudson posted a 6-4, 6-0 win against Amy Williams and Taylor earned a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Andrea Nedorostova.
No. 112 ranked Burns clinched the match for the Tigers with a 7-5, 6-4 triumph over Tatiana Larina.
The Lady Tigers returned for the nightcap and swept Southern University 7-0, marking a 21-0 all-time record over the Jaguars.
The doubles point was decided after the Wilson/Frankenberger pair tallied an 8-3 victory over Kendall Bunch and Danielle Dixon, and Jeremiah and Morton followed by defeating Morgan Taylor and Camara Davis 8-4.
Wilson saw her second shut-out win of the day with another quick 6-0, 6-0 victory over Camara Davis. Taylor finished second and notched a shut-out of her own against Lois Alexis.
Burns claimed her second clinched match of the day as she took on Demetria Woods on court one and walked away with a 6-4, 6-0 triumph and another win for the Tigers.
"This is a group of girls that for the last six months have grown levels in their game," Sell said. "While they've improved a lot, part of the development is actually getting out there in a pressure situation when it counts. It counts for your school and your team, and they're doing it and proving it for themselves. It's great for them to play two long, hard matches where they really worked through them. Hopefully we'll grow with that this week and then take it into our next match."
The Lady Tigers will next see action Saturday at home as they take on SMU at noon CT.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#45 LSU 4, Northwestern State 3
1. #112 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Tatiana Larina (NWST) 7-5, 6-4
2. Polina Konop (NWST) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (7-5)
3. Natalya Krutova (NWST) def. Ariel Morton (LSU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Andrea Nedorostova (NWST) 6-2, 6-4
5. Caroline Hudson (LSU) def. Amy Williams (NWST) 6-4, 6-0
6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Vanja Bogetic (NWST) 6-0, 6-0
1. Tatiana Larina/Andrea Nedorostova (NWST) def. Kaitlin Burns/Caroline Hudson (LSU) 8-4
2. Natalya Krutova/Polina Konop (NWST) def. Ariel Morton/Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 8-7 (7-4)
3. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Amy Williams/Vanja Bogetic (NWST) 8-1
Northwestern State 0-1
LSU 1-0; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (6,5,4,3,1,2)
#45 LSU 7, Southern Jaguars 0
1. #112 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Demetria Woods (SU) 6-4, 6-0
2. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) def. Gabrielle Moore (SU) 6-0, 6-4
3. Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Danielle Dixon (SU) 6-2, 6-2
4. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Lois Alexis (SU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Caroline Hudson (LSU) def. Morgan Taylor (SU) 6-4, 6-0
6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Camara Davis (SU) 6-0, 6-0
1. Kaitlin Burns/Caroline Hudson (LSU) vs. Gabrielle Moore/Lois Alexis (SU) no result
2. Mary Jeremiah/Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Morgan Taylor/Camara Davis (SU) 8-4
3. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Kendall Bunch/Danielle Dixon (SU) 8-3
Southern U. Jaguars 0-1
LSU 2-0; National ranking #45
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (6,4,1,2,5,3)