BATON ROUGE – The No. 47 LSU women’s tennis team fell 4-0 to No. 4 Alabama on Friday night.
“We had some leads and we had some big opportunities, but Alabama played the bigger points,” said LSU head coach Julia Sell. “That’s where our youth comes in. Across all the courts, I was really happy to see how we kept adjusting and found the right game plan in the second set.”
The Lady Tigers are now 7-5 (0-3 SEC) on the season, while the Tide improves to 11-2 (3-0 SEC).
On court six in singles, LSU’s Holloway battled hard, coming from behind several times to tie the match. Although Holloway fell to Luicelena Perez 6-2, 7-6 (9-7), the freshman continues to improve as a player.
“Skylar is just always in there,” said Sell. “She found the right plays a little bit late, but she’s coming along. Skylar just has to start matches the way she finishes them, then she is going to rattle off some wins. She has had some incredible come from behind wins for us already.”
In singles, Lady Tiger Gabrielle Otero met defeat 6-3, 6-2 at the hands of No. 75 Erin Routliffe on court three, while Scott fell to No. 123 Danielle Spielmann 6-3, 6-2 on court two.The Lady Tigers take the court again on Sunday as they face No. 21 Auburn at noon CT. in W.T. "Dub" Robinson Stadium.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook atwww.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#4 Alabama 4, #47 LSU 0
1. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) vs. #79 Mary Anne Daines (UA) 1-6, 4-5, unfinished
2. #123 Danielle Spielmann (UA) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. #75 Erin Routliffe (UA) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
4. Abigail Owens (LSU) vs. #67 Maya Jansen (UA) 2-6, 6-2, 2-2, unfinished
5. Ella Taylor (LSU) vs. Emily Zabor (UA) 2-6, 4-5, unfinished
6. Luicelena Perez (UA) def. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
1. #18 Maya Jansen/Erin Routliffe (UA) def. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) 8-2
2. Mary Anne Daines/Danielle Spielmann (UA) def. Noel Scott/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-6
3. Gabrielle Otero/Abigail Owens (LSU) vs. #35 Emily Zabor/Luicelena Perez (UA) 6-7, unfinished