BATON ROUGE – Skylar Holloway notched a singles victory to secure the match for the LSU women’s tennis team as they defeated the University of South Florida 4-3 in a Friday night matchup at W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
With this win, the Lady Tigers improve to 5-2 on the season, while USF fell to 3-3.
After splitting the first two sets on court six, Holloway fell behind early in the third set. The freshman rallied from being down 5-2 to defeat Olga Martinez 6-3, 2-6, 7-6 (3).
““Skylar’s effort to come back from 5-2 down in the third is unbelievable,” said LSU head coach Julia Sell. “It showed unbelievable heart. I thought Ella’s effort was great. Her staying out there and battling is what made Skylar able to do the same.”
LSU has been strong in doubles matches all season, and this match was no different as the Lady Tigers captured the doubles point, improving their doubles match record to 11-4 for the season.
“I think we have a lot of options (at doubles), and with the amount of injuries we've had I don’t feel like we feel solidified yet in our teams,” said Sell. “With the youth on our team, we are still learning so much, but we have all the tools to be a very good doubles team.”
LSU’s Abigail Owens and partner Gabrielle Otero led the way for the Lady Tigers as they defeated Fanny Fracassi and Olaya Garrido-Rivas 8-3 on court three.
The duo of Joana Vale Costa and Skylar Holloway continued to show their doubles dominance as they defeated Vera Bessonova and Martinez 8-3 on court two to clinch the doubles point for LSU.
In singles matches, LSU’s Noel Scott defeated Loreto Alonso 6-2, 6-2 on court two, while Vale Costa took down Kayla Rizzolo 6-1, 6-3 on court one.
LSU’s Otero met defeat 7-6 (4), 6-2 at the hands of Fanny Fracassi on court four, while Taylor fell to USF’s Garrido-Rivas 4-6, 6-4, 6-2.
The Lady Tigers return to the court on Sunday for their second double header of the season as they face Northwestern State at noon CST and follow with a nightcap against McNeese State at 5 p.m. CST.
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#58 LSU 4, #59 USF 3
1. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Kayla Rizzolo (USF) 6-1, 6-3
2. Noel Scott (LSU) def. Loreto Alonso (USF) 6-2, 6-2
3. Olaya Garrido-Rivas (USF) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) 7-6, 6-2
5. Vera Bessenova (USF) def. Abigail Owens (LSU) 7-6, 6-1
6. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Olga Martinez (USF) 6-3, 2-6, 7-6
1. Kayla Rizzolo/Loreto Alonso (USF) def. Mary Jeremiah/Noel Scott (LSU) 8-3
2. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Vera Bessenova/Olga Martinez (USF) 8-3
3. Abigail Owens/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Fanny Fracassi/Olaya Garrido-Rivas (USF) 8-3