Women's Tennis Advances Past USF in ITA Kickoff
CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The LSU women’s tennis team ran its season opening record to 3-0 by defeating USF (1-1), 4-1, in the first round of the ITA Kickoff weekend on Friday.
"I was really proud of our team at every spot,” LSU head coach Julia S. Sell said. “From our incredible leadership up top to our resilience down low, every player played a significant role in the win. We earned our stripes today.”
The Lady Tigers took a 2-0 lead on the Bulls as Noel Scott won a thrilling match over Loreto Alonso. After splitting the first two sets 6-2, 3-6, the match moved into a tie-breaker per the ITA’s experimental format in play thru Feb. 10. Scott’s 10-4 tie-breaker victory secured the match point for LSU.
LSU’s Owens met defeat 6-4, 6-1 at the hands of Olga Martinez, but Otero’s 7-6, 6-3 victory over Olaya Garrido helped LSU maintain a 3-1 match lead.
Vale Costa secured the match for the Lady Tigers as she defeated Kayla Rizzolo 6-2, 7-6 (7-5).
LSU will face Miami (Fla.) (1-0) on Saturday at 1 p.m. CST. The Lady Tigers and the Hurricanes have a series record of 3-3. They last met on May 16, 1998 when LSU won 5-3.
“Having the opportunity to play a Top 10 team this early in the season is a perfect measure of where we are at now,” Sell said. “We have come a long way in a short time and we are excited to compete against a veteran program.”
Follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell, on Instagram @LSUWTen and on Facebook at www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#65 LSU 4, #59 USF 1
1. Joana Vale Costa (LSU) def. Kayla Rizzolo 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
2. Noel Scott (LSU) def. Loreto Alonso (USF) 6-2, 3-6, 10-4
3. Ella Taylor (LSU) vs. Fanny Fracassi (USF) 6-1, 1-4 unfinished
4. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Olaya Garrido (USF) 7-6, 6-3
5. Vera Bessonova (USF) def. Abigail Owens (LSU) 6-4, 6-1
6. Olga Martinez (USF) vs. Skylar Holloway (LSU) 7-6, 2-5 unfinished
1. Joana Vale Costa/Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Kayla Rizzolo/Loreto Alonso (USF), 6-4
2. Olaya Garrido/Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Ella Taylor/Ariel Morton (LSU), 6-2
3. Gabrielle Otero/Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Vera Bessonova/Olga Martinez (USF), 6-1