ATLANTA – The LSU women's tennis team tallied four singles victories Saturday during the second day of the Atlanta Classic in Atlanta, Ga.
All three newcomers notched singles wins. Gabrielle Otero clinched a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Columbia's Ioana Alecsiu, Abigail Owens earned a 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Tiana Takenaga and Skylar Holloway posted a 6-4, 6-2 victory over the Lions' Laura Wiley. Senior Ariel Morton also notched a 6-1, 6-2 win over Columbia's Vivian Cheng.
LSU took on Georgia State in doubles, and the duo of junior Mary Jeremiah and Otero walked away with an 8-4 win over Linn Timmermann and Maryna Kozachenko.
The Scott and Owens duo fell 8-2 to the Panthers' Abigail Tere-Apisah and Marcia Tere-Apisah, and Holloway and Taylor faced an 8-2 loss to Georgia State's pair of Tarani Kamoe and Chaimaa Roudami.
"I'm really proud of our play in singles today," LSU head coach Julia S. Sell said. "This team is so passionate and competitive that they are playing with a lot of intensity and improving every match."
LSU will wrap up competition Sunday with a final round of singles against Georgia Tech at 8 a.m. CT.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @LSUwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/LSUwten.
2013 Atlanta Classic
September 28, 2013
Day 2 Doubles
LSU vs. Georgia State
1. Abigail Tere-Apisah/Marcia Tere-Apisah (GSU) def. Noel Scott/Abigail Owens (LSU) 8-2
2. Mary Jeremiah/Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Linn Timmermann/Maryna Kozachenko 8-4
3. Tarani Kamoe/Chaimaa Roudami (GSU) def. Holloway/Ella Taylor (LSU) 8-2
Day 2 Singles
LSU vs. Columbia
1. No. 104 Bianca Sanon (Columbia) def. Noel Scott (LSU) 7-6, 7-5
2. Tina Jiang (Columbia) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Gabrielle Otero (LSU) def. Ioana Alecsiu (Columbia) 6-3, 6-3
4. Abigail Owens (LSU) def. Tiana Takenaga (Columbia) 6-2, 6-3
5. Skylar Holloway (LSU) def. Laura Wiley (Columbia) 6-4, 6-2
6. Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Vivian Cheng (Columbia) 6-1, 6-2
LSU vs. Georgia Tech 8:00 a.m. CT