STARKVILLE, Miss. – The LSU women’s tennis team (8-10; 1-7 SEC) faced a long match against Mississippi State University (7-9; 1-7 SEC) and ultimately fell 4-3 to the Bulldogs Sunday at A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre.
“All of the credit goes to Mississippi State for fighting to the end,” head coach Julia S. Sell said. “We had our chance today. After nine hours in an icebox on two courts, I really hope we get to play this team again at the SEC tournament.”
Due to inclement weather, competition was moved indoors with only two courts available. The match kicked off with singles, and Kaitlin Burns and Mary Jeremiah were the first to see action on the courts.
Burns faced a 6-2, 6-1 loss in the top spot to Mississippi State’s Georgiana Patrasc. Following a tightly-contested first-set tiebreaker, Jeremiah took the court two match against the Bulldogs’ Alexandra Perper into the third set, but the sophomore ultimately fell 6-7 (6-7), 6-1, 6-2.
Freshman Ella Taylor put LSU on the board with a quick 6-2, 6-3 victory in the No. 3 position over Mississippi State’s Naomi Tran, and junior Ariel Morton tied the score 2-2 with a quick 6-1, 6-3 triumph against the Bulldogs’ Petra Ferancova.
Senior Keri Frankenberger took a 6-3, 6-3 loss to Mississippi State’s Roseline Dion on court five before Ebie Wilson faced a tight competition in the No. 6 spot against the Bulldogs’ Lien Van Geel. After notching the first set in a tiebreaker, the senior tallied an overall 7-6 (2), 7-5 victory that gave the Lady Tigers their final point of the day.
Before Wilson completed her singles match, the duo of Jeremiah and Morton took over competition on the available court and faced an 8-2 loss to Mississippi States’ No. 46-ranked pair of Perper and Tran.
Because Wilson was still battling in singles, the match continued to the No. 3 doubles pair of Burns and Taylor. The duo battled through a tiebreaker against Mississippi State’s Dion and Patrasc, but ultimately fell 9-8 (7-4), giving the Bulldogs the second doubles win needed to clinch the match.
The No. 54 Lady Tigers will next take on the No. 2 University of Florida Friday at 3 p.m. CT at W.T. “Dub” Robinson Stadium.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
Mississippi State 4, #54 LSU 3
1. Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) def. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
2. Alexandra Perper (MSU) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-7 (6-7), 6-1, 6-2
3. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Naomi Tran (MSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Petra Ferancova (MSU) 6-1, 6-3
5. Roseline Dion (MSU) def. Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Lien Van Geel (MSU) 7-6 (7-2), 7-5
1. #46 Alexandra Perper/Naomi Tran (MSU) def. Mary Jeremiah/Ariel Morton (LSU) 8-2
2. Petra Ferancova/Sarai Flores (MSU) vs. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) 3-7, unfinished
3. Roseline Dion/Georgiana Patrasc (MSU) def. Kaitlin Burns/Ella Taylor (LSU) 9-8 (7-4)
LSU 8-10, 1-7 SEC; National ranking #54
Mississippi State 7-9, 1-7 SEC
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,2,3,4,5,6)