BATON ROUGE, La. - The LSU women's tennis team (5-2) swept McNeese State University (5-3) in doubles before going on to win the match 6-1 Saturday at "Dub" Robinson Stadium.
The doubles pair of Kaitlin Burns and Ella Taylor made its second appearance and finished first with an 8-6 victory over McNeese's Diana Pirciu and Annabelle Peacock, making the doubles partners 2-0 this season. The duo debuted during the Lady Tigers' last outing against UC Irvine.
Keri Frankenberger and Ebie Wilson easily clinched the doubles point for LSU with an 8-2 triumph over McNeese's Klaudia Gawlik and Andreea Nenu. The Ariel Morton and Mary Jeremiah pair followed with an 8-4 victory against the Cowgirls' Lara Pujol and Anastasia Surkova in the No. 1 position, marking the doubles team's sixth consecutive win and fifth straight in the top spot.
Senior Wilson notched her third double-bagel victory this season with a court six win over McNeese's Peacock, and junior Morton quickly followed with a 6-1, 6-0 victory against the Cowgirls' Nenu on court four.
Senior Burns clinched her fourth match this season, capturing a 6-2, 6-0 win on court two over McNeese's Pujol.
Both freshmen added points to the board, as Caroline Hudson scored a 6-3, 6-2 victory against the Cowgirls' Pirciu on court five, and Taylor took a 6-1, 6-1 win on court three over McNeese's Surkova.
Court one featured the only match taken into the third set, and sophomore Jeremiah battled through a nail-biting super tiebreaker, but ultimately fell to McNeese's Gawlik 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6).
"Our singles today was the best job we have done all year as far as our focus and intensity," head coach Julia S. Sell said. "We worked on our accountability all week in practice, and it really showed today. I'm excited by today's effort and look forward to building on our progress."
The No. 50 Lady Tigers will see their next action Wednesday at 1 p.m. CT against No. 32 Rice University at the Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#50 LSU 6, McNeese State 1
1. Klaudia Gawlik (MCN) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Lara Pujol (MCN) 6-2, 6-0
3. Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Anastasia Surkova (MCN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Andreea Nenu (MCN) 6-1, 6-0
5. Caroline Hudson (LSU) def. Diana Pirciu (MCN) 6-3, 6-2
6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Annabelle Peacock (MCN) 6-0, 6-0
1. Mary Jeremiah/Ariel Morton (LSU) def. Lara Pujol/Anastasia Surkova (MCN) 8-4
2. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frankenberger (LSU) def. Klaudia Gawlik/Andreea Nenu (MCN) 8-2
3. Kaitlin Burns/Ella Taylor (LSU) def. Diana Pirciu/Annabelle Peacock (MCN) 8-6
McNeese State 5-3
LSU 5-2; National ranking #50
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,2,5,3,1)
Court one completed the match with a 10 point tiebreaker in the third set.