LONG BEACH, Calif. - The LSU women's tennis team (4-1) faced a 5-2 loss to Long Beach State (3-1) Saturday at the Rhodes Tennis Center.
"Today came down to a lot of fundamentals," head coach Julia S. Sell said. "I give credit to Long Beach State. They're a great team. The hardest thing about being a developing team is finding the confidence in fighting through. We faced some of that today, and it cost us the match."
The doubles team of Mary Jeremiah and Ariel Morton earned the first win of the day, as the duo notched their fourth consecutive doubles victory and third straight in the top position, with an 8-4 win over Long Beach's Klaudia Malenovska and Sarah Cantlay.
The next two doubles matches went to Long Beach, giving the 49ers the doubles point. The senior duo of Keri Frankenberger and Ebie Wilson fell 8-4 on court two to Long Beach's Ebba Unden and Karolina Rozenberg, and Kaitlin Burns and Caroline Hudson faced an 8-4 loss on court three to the 49ers Hazuki Onaga and Anne-Sophie Willems.
A series of Long Beach singles wins clinched the match for the 49ers, as Hudson faced a 6-2, 6-2, loss against Long Beach's Rozenberg on court five, freshman Ella Taylor fell 6-3, 6-0, to the 49ers' Unden on court two and sophomore Jeremiah fell 6-2, 6-2, to Long Beach's Malenovska in the top position.
No. 112 Kaitlin Burns answered with a 6-2, 6-3, triumph over the 49ers' Cantlay on court three that put LSU on the board.
Senior Wilson followed as she notched a 6-2, 6-2 win against Willems on court six, earning her fourth consecutive singles win and maintaining an undefeated singles record this season.
Junior Morton battled back in the second set against Long Beach's Eva Rodriguez on court four, but ultimately fell 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4).
"Ariel (Morton) did a great job again of fighting back," Sell said. "She leads the team in that. It was an absolute battle that she continued to fight through. Moving forward, we have to do a better job of making adjustments. We're certainly not going to forget today."
The No. 46 Lady Tigers will conclude their tour on the West Coast Monday as they take on UC Irvine at 3:30 p.m. CT.
For the latest information on the women's tennis team, follow the Lady Tigers on Twitter @lsuwten and @LSUJuliaSell and on www.Facebook.com/lsuwten.
#39 Long Beach State 5, #46 LSU 2
1. Klaudia Malenovska (LBSU) def. Mary Jeremiah (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Ebba Unden (LBSU) def. Ella Taylor (LSU) 6-3, 6-0
3. #112 Kaitlin Burns (LSU) def. Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Eva Rodriguez (LBSU) def. Ariel Morton (LSU) 7-6 (7-5), 7-6 (7-4)
5. Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Caroline Hudson (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Ebie Wilson (LSU) def. Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) 6-2, 6-2
1. Ariel Morton/Mary Jeremiah (LSU) def. Klaudia Malenovska/Sarah Cantlay (LBSU) 8-4
2. Ebba Unden/Karolina Rozenberg (LBSU) def. Ebie Wilson/Keri Frakenberger (LSU) 8-4
3. Hazuki Onaga/Anne-Sophie Willems (LBSU) def. Caroline Hudson/Kaitlin Burns (LSU) 8-4