LSU Spirit Squad Accomplishments
The LSU Cheerleaders have been ranked as one of the top cheerleading programs in the nation.
In 1989, as UCA's National Cheerleader Champions, the LSU Cheerleaders had a Nike cheer shoe, the "Tiger Flight," named after the squad. The National Champs appeared in Nike TV commercial and print ads. In addition, they appeared on ESPN's "Cheers for the Holidays." This show aired for several years around the Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays. Since then the LSU Cheerleaders have had Top-10 finishes at ESPN'S UCA Collegiate National Championships, placing as high as fourth several years. At the 2004 championships, the LSU cheerleaders placed fifth in Division I-A competition.
Most recently the LSU Cheerleaders accomplishments are as follows:
- Voted Most Collegiate Cheer Squad by the UCA staff year after year at summer camp.
- Voted Leadership Award "squad that everyone looks up to". This award is voted on by the other squads attending camp.
- No. 1 National Partner Stunt Championship Titles in 2001 and 2002.
- LSU Cheerleaders have performed in the middle of Times Square for the Good Morning America television show, which included an interview conducted by Dianne Sawyer and Charlie Gibson.
- Appeared as the premiere collegiate cheer squad on ESPN's Outside the Lines in the fall of 2002.
- Perform in leading the crowd at weekly LSU Football, Basketball, Volleyball and Gymnastics athletic events. Have most recently cheered at the Sugar Bowl, Peach Bowl, Cotton Bowl and SEC Championship Football Games, as well as men s and women s basketball SEC Tournaments and NCAA Regional Tournaments.
The LSU cheerleading program has evolved into one of the most respected programs in the nation. Each year our cheer web site has several hundred requests for information.
The LSU Tiger Girls have been in existence since 1997. While the program is in its sixth season at LSU, the Tiger Girls have appeared on the national level since their inception. The very first year at UDA's summer camp, they placed first in home routine, following it up with a National Championship the second year. The Tiger Girls have finished in the Top 10 at UDA's National Championships shown on ESPN.
The Tiger Girls have been voted "Most Collegiate Dance Team" at UDA's College Dance camp. The team dances at all LSU men s basketball games and has danced at the SEC Basketball Tournament. The team has been invited to appear at the Super Bowl and Sugar Bowl football games. Each year the Tiger Girls web site has several hundred requests for information.
MIKE THE TIGER
The LSU Mascot, "Mike the Tiger, has been a favorite both on and off the field. Mike has many fans and can be found at LSU Athletic events and community appearances.
Mike was voted ESPN's favorite mascot by sports fans from all over the country. In addition, he was the "IN" mascot up against the "OUT" Florida Seminole on a recent website poll. Mike has appeared on ESPN's UCA Mascot Championship where he placed in the Top 10. In 2002, Mike was voted most Collegiate mascot at UCA's Spirit Camp.