General Information/Frequently Asked Questions
Who is eligible to tryout?
- Full-time undergraduate LSU students in good academic standing
- High school seniors with provisional admission
- Undergraduate transfer students with provisional admission may tryout. Transfer students must have a minimum of two years of undergraduate class work remaining at LSU in order to tryout.
- For an admissions application, please contact the Undergraduate Office of Admissions at 225-578-1175
Are scholarships awarded?
- Yes! However, these are called "Financial Service Awards."
- Financial service awards are not offered to first-year squad members.
- Awards of $900 ($450 in each of the fall and spring semesters) are given after the first year of membership.
- The LSU Athletics Department pays all expenses directly associated with uniforms and athletic attire, as well as any cheerleading travel expenses. This includes summer dance camp in mid- July.
In what events do the Tiger Girls participate?
- The Tiger Girls primarily participate at all home games for the Men’s and Women’s Basketball teams.
- In addition, the Tiger Girls have the opportunity to support the teams during post-season tournaments.
- Each year the Tiger Girls participate in several university and community related events including homecoming activities, the Miss LSU Pageant, Mardi Gras parades as well as other athletic department events.
What time commitments are involved?
- Being an LSU Tiger Girl is a major time commitment. In addition to performing at the games and personal appearances, the team practices 3-4 times a week in the early afternoons and have strength and conditioning workouts twice a week in the early morning. Participation must be a priority.
Does the squad compete?
- Yes! Each year, the LSU Tiger Girls Squad attempts to qualify and compete in the UDA National Collegiate Dance Team Championships.
- The LSU Tiger Girls Squad placed 4th in Division IA (major colleges) Hip-Hop category and 6th in the Jazz Category at the 2007 National Collegiate Dance Team Championships held in Orlando, Fla. The Tiger Girls won the National Championship in 1999 and finished fourth in 2000, fifth in 2001, 11th in 2002 and seventh in 2003.