LSU Cheerleading Information & FAQ's
LSU Sports Interactive
Who is eligible to tryout? | Complete Tryout Info
- Full-time undergraduate LSU students in good academic standing
- High school seniors with provisional admission
- Undergraduate transfer students with provisional admission
- Transfer students must have a minimum of two years of undergraduate class work remaining at LSU in order to tryout.
Are scholarships awarded?
- Yes! However, these are called "Financial Service Awards" and are awarded based on what year you are on the team. Current awards are 2nd year members -$1000 per year, 3rd year members -$1500 per year, 4th year members -$2000 per year. To be eligible, students must have a 2.3 LSU CUM GPA. Additional service awards are given based on volunteer service hours.
- LSU does not offer out of state waivers for Spirit Squad members. However, the University participates in the Academic Common Marketplace. You may apply for an out of state waiver based on your major and your states academic offerings.
- The LSU Athletics Department pays all expenses directly associated with uniforms and athletic attire, as well as any cheerleading travel expenses. In addition, camp training fees are included.
What are the responsibilities and privileges of an LSU Cheerleader?
- LSU Cheerleading is a major time commitment for both spring and fall semesters, as well as, the Thanksgiving, Christmas and Spring break. The Cheerleading year begins in mid-July with "pre-camp," followed by a week at a UCA College Spirit Camp. The year does not end until tryouts of the following year.
- Practice is held 3-4 times per week in the early afternoon or evening during both the fall and spring semesters.
- Strength and conditioning training takes place 2-3 days a week.
- The spirit squad cheers at LSU football home and away games, men's and women's basketball including post-season tournaments, volleyball, beach volleyball and gymnastics home events as well as competes at UCA’s Collegiate Championships.
- Squad members also make public appearances and perform many other valuable tasks for the LSU Athletic Department and the University.
- Just as other student-athletes, cheerleaders have the opportunity to "letter" at LSU and receive letter jackets, plaques, etc.
Does the squad compete?
- As long as the coaches and administration feel the team is doing their job as cheerleaders, we have competed in the UCA National Collegiate Cheerleading Championship in Orlando, FL held in January.
- The competition team is chosen from among all members of the cheerleading team. Squad placement does not designate if you are on the competition team.
What is the makeup of the team?
- Gold Squad: 8 (advanced) coed couples cheer Football and Men’s Basketball
- Purple Squad: 8 coed couples cheer Football and Women’s Basketball
- White Squad: 4-6 coed couples cheer Volleyball and Gymnastics as well as fill in for Purple and Gold teams as necessary.
How do I get information about admissions, estimated cost and financial aid?