2017 Tiger Girls Auditions & Schedule
Dates: April 21-23, 2017
Location: Field House/Spirit Squad Practice Facility
Attire: Please wear BLACK dance top, black hot shorts, Jazz shoes. Hair game day ready (Curled) and game day make up. No jewelry. Further details listed below. Pictures will be taken and attached to application.
Day 1, Friday April 21
5:30-6 p.m. - Mandatory Meeting Participants will go over rules and regulations of the spirit program as well as sign a waiver for tryouts and review schedule for next day.
- We will take photos for tryouts so please come game day ready in above specified attire!
6 p.m. - Optional Clinic (Participants will learn exact tryout material and be given some feedback for the next day). Videos of the material will be posted on our Facebook page on Friday during clinic.
Day 2, Saturday April 22
Times tentative based on flow of the day and number of people auditioning.
8-8:30 a.m. - Sign in/registration
8:30-9 a.m. - Group Stretch
9 a.m.-Noon - Audition Across the floor technique/ Jazz Combo
1. Leg/Jump Combo
2. Turn Combo
3. Jazz Combo
12-12:45 p.m.- Review/Learn HH
12:45 -2:15 p.m. - Break
2:15 - Cut Selected and Posted
2:30-4 p.m. - Audition Hip Hop
1. HH Combo/ Improv
4-4:45 p.m. - Review Pom Combo and Fight Song (dancers will learn this the day before at the clinic or on video if they are not attending clinic)
4:45 p.m. - Announce Hip Hop Cut & instructions for those continuing on.
4:45-6 p.m. - Audition Pom/GameDay
1. Fight Song
2. Pom Combo
3. Game Day Improv
6:15 p.m. - Announce Pom Cut and instructions for those moving on.
Day 3, Sunday, April 23
8-8:30 a.m. - Sign in/ Registration
8:30-10:30 a.m.- Interviews
10:45 a.m.-12:15 p.m. - Final Round Auditions; Be prepared to show anything previously demonstrated
12:15-1:30 p.m. - Lunch Break
1:30-2:30 p.m. - Call backs (if needed)
3:30-5:30 p.m. - Team Announced/Team meeting
1. Review TG guidelines & contract
2. Individual measurements for dancers
3. Team weigh-ins and body fat testing with nutritionist
4. Team and individual Goals/ Practice
* ALL times are tentative and may change throughout the day.
2017-18 Tiger Girls Pre-Audition Clinics (Optional)
To prepare for 2017-18 Tiger Girls Dance Team tryouts, LSU will offer three non-mandatory audition clinics. By attending one or more of these clinics, you will learn exactly what to expect when trying out for Tiger Girls. It's also open to any high school student interested in trying out for a college dance team. Also open to current LSU students and transfer students.
February 12, 1-4 p.m.
March 19, 1-4 p.m.
April 21, 6-9:30 p.m. (this clinic will teach actual tryout material)
Location: LSU Carl Maddox Field House/Spirit Squad facility - Southeast entrance of venue
Cost: $65 per session
Note: Clinics are NOT mandatory in order to audition
About: Learn how to prepare for high school and college dance team tryouts from Tiger Girls coach Kandace Hale.
Register: Click here
Must maintain tryout weight and appearance. Expected to uphold a lean and toned build. We are looking for well-rounded dancers, who can do all three styles of dance including Jazz, Hip Hop, and Pom. The above technique and skills listed are guidelines for what is expected at tryouts. During your audition you will be scored on your technique and individual style as well as your athleticism in your tricks and skills. You will also be scored on your appearance and performance. You will be expected to maintain your tryout weight and appearance throughout the year. Being on the spirit team, you should be able to engage with the crowd and be an approachable representative for the University.
We are looking for girls who exemplify athleticism through their skill level, fitness, health, and work ethic. Our team is continuously in the public eye and is expected to set a good example for young girls by having a healthy, professional image.
Attire and Hair and Makeup:
During Jazz and Pom auditions the attire is a black crop top of your choice. Rhinestones may be added, no beads or no dangling accessory’s. No modified bra’s, should resemble a dance top. Low waisted hot shorts and jazz shoes. During Hip Hop and Tricks we ask that you add a pair of black hip hop style pants and your choice and sneakers. Hair and makeup should be “game ready” at all times. Hair should be curled and it is preferred that bangs are to be pinned or pulled back out of your face and eyes.
All participants must be currently enrolled as a full time student (24 hours completed Fall 2016/Spring 2017) and academically eligible or have applied to the University. Those currently enrolled at LSU must include student ID so compliance can verify academic status. Those with admissions pending must attach a copy of their admissions application and any paperwork they have received from the admissions office.
Freshman Admission Requirements
There are three factors that will be initially considered for admission to LSU (from LSU.edu):
- Incoming freshman must have at least a 3.0 academic gpa calculated from academic core courses.
- Students must also have completed at least 18 units of college-preparatory courses.
- Applicants must have a minimum of SAT score (critical reading and math) of 1030 or at least a composite ACT score of 22.
As the Flagship University of Louisiana, LSU does not offer any remedial courses; therefore, students must have an ACT English sub-score of at least 18 or an SAT critical reading score of at least 450. In order to be placed into college-level math, students must have an ACT math sub-score of at least 19 or an SAT math score of 460.
LSU does not require completion of the writing section on the ACT or SAT for general admission. However, students interested in being considered for admission to the LSU Honors College must submit writing scores.
Students not meeting the above requirements for automatic admission are still encouraged to apply. We can take other factors into account to predict your potential for success at LSU. Some of these factors may include: choice of degree program, rank in class, credit in advanced placement or honors courses, rigor of the high school curriculum, grade trends, extracurricular activities, and letters of recommendation. If you would like to appeal a decision, please contact our staff. We want to work with you to do everything possible to see you become part of the LSU family.
For further detailed information, please see the "Undergraduate Admissions & Student Aid" in the LSU General Catalog.
Visit www.lsu.edu/admissions for more details.
General Tryout Information
All of the following required forms are due the Wednesday prior to tryouts:
1. LSU Spirit Squad Application (under Related Links)
2. Copy of admissions letter to LSU
3. Copy of insurance card
4. Walk-on Physician Clearance Form (under Related Links)
5. Pre-Participation Medical History Form (under Related Links)
IMPORTANT: Tiger Girl tryout application forms must be received by the Wednesday prior to the audition.
Please mail to:
Pauline Zernott, Tiger Girl Auditions
LSU Athletics Administration Building
Baton Rouge, LA 70803
- If you are under 18, your tryout application form MUST BE SIGNED by a parent or guardian in order to participate.
- Applicants must provide complete insurance information to participate in the clinics and tryouts.
- All portions of tryouts are closed to the public. Only applicants, coaching staff, and LSU athletic department staff will be allowed inside.
- Evaluators will consist of the coaching staff, spirit coordinator, and professional dance instructors. The purpose of the tryout is to choose the best all-around representatives for LSU.
- Generally, 18-22 dancers are chosen to make up the squad with the possibility of one or two alternates depending on the break in scores. At the end of the second day of auditions, numbers of the selected squad will be posted and new members are asked to remain for a brief meeting that will follow.