AUBURN, Ala. – The LSU men’s tennis team fell 4-1 to No. 36 Auburn on Sunday afternoon at Yarbrough Tennis Center in Alabama.
The doubles point came down to the match on court one between No. 20 doubles team junior Chris Simpson and sophomore Boris Arias and Auburn's double team of Daniel Cochrane and Oliver Plaskett. In a hard-fought match, Simpson and Arias fell 8-6, and Auburn took a 1-0 lead into singles.
Sophomore Harrison Kennedy tied the match at one with a 6-2, 6-3 win on court six over Plaskett. Kennedy is 3-1 in SEC play, winning three consecutive conference singles matches.
Sophomore Andrew Korinek fell to Dennis Lengsfeld 6-2, 7-6, and Auburn regained the lead 2-1. Arias fell to No. 119 Cochrane 6-1, 4-6, 6-0, and LSU trailed Auburn 3-1. The matched was clinched on court four when sophomore Tam Trinh fell to Petar Tomic 6-3, 3-6, 6-2.
“Doubles started off with a couple breaks for us at two and three,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “We were able to finish quickly on three, but their team played well and got the break and more. At one we came back from 7-3 to 7-6, but the slow start cost us. In singles, we were able to tie the match quickly with Harrison dominating his opponent, but we lost two three-setters and a second tie breaker on Drew’s court to end our day.”
Matches on courts one and five were still going on when the match was clinched. On court one, No. 109 Simpson trailed No. 118 Lukas Ollert 6-3, 2-6, 2-4 in the third set. Freshman Justin Butsch led No. 120 Dante Saleh 6-3, 4-6, 3-2. Butsch has not lost a singles match in SEC competition.
LSU returns to action at 3 p.m. on Thursday against George Washington University at Dub Robinson Stadium.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs. Auburn
Mar 09, 2014 at Auburn, Ala.
(Yarbrough Tennis Center)
#36 Auburn 4, LSU 1
1. #118 Lukas Ollert (AU) vs. #109 Chris Simpson (LSU) 3-6, 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
2. #119 Daniel Cochrane (AU) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-1, 4-6, 6-0
3. Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 6-2, 7-6 (8-6)
4. Petar Tomic (AU) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
5. #120 Dante Saleh (AU) vs. Justin Butsch (LSU) 3-6, 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
6. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) def. Oliver Plaskett (AU) 6-2, 6-3
1. Daniel Cochrane/Oliver Plaskett (AU) def. #20 Boris Arias/Chris Simpson (LSU) 8-6
2. Lukas Ollert/Dennis Lengsfeld (AU) def. Justin Butsch/Tam Trinh (LSU) 8-5
3. Andrew Korinek/Eric Perez (LSU) def. Dante Saleh/Petar Tomic (AU) 8-4
LSU 7-7, 0-4
Auburn 13-5, 3-1; National ranking #36
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,3,2,4)