Men's Tennis Drops 4-1 Match at South Carolina
COLUMBIA, S.C. – The No. 33 LSU men’s tennis team (9-9, 3-5 SEC) closed out their weekend road trip with a 4-1 loss in Columbia, S.C., to No. 25 South Carolina (15-7, 5-3 SEC) at the Carolina Tennis Center.
“Splitting on the road in the SEC is good at this point when you look at the quality of the teams,” head coach Jeff Brown said. “You’d like to win them all, but you can’t. South Carolina played well in singles. We’ll get back to Baton Rouge and get recharged for the week.”
All three doubles matches came down to the wire. On court one, Olivier Borsos and Roger Anderson defeated South Carolina’s Chip Cox and Tsvetan Mihov 9-8. Shortly after, South Carolina’s Andrew Adams and Thiago Pinheiro bested LSU’s Chris Simpson and Boris Arias 9-7 on court three to even the doubles matches.
With the doubles point on the line, LSU’s Stefan Szacinski and Tam Trinh came through for the Tigers and defeated Kyle Koch and Harry Menzies on court two 9-7 to win the doubles point and give LSU a 1-0 lead.
South Carolina quickly turned the momentum around at the start of the singles matches. The Gamecocks evened the match at 1-1 following Mihov’s 6-2, 6-2 victory on court one over LSU’s Simpson. South Carolina took a 2-1 lead after Arias fell to the Gamecocks’ Menzies 3-6, 2-6 on court six. The Gamecocks extended their lead to 3-1 on court four after Cox bested LSU’s Mark Bowtell 6-3, 6-3.
The match was clinched for South Carolina by Koch after he defeated LSU’s Trinh on court five 6-3, 7-6(6). The final two matches were left unfinished. On court two, Szacinski was leading South Carolina’s Adams 7-6, 4-4. On court three, Pinheiro was leading LSU’s Borsos 6-7, 6-1, 1-0.
The Tigers come home and start a nine-match homestretch starting this Tuesday, April 2 with a doubleheader against No. 55 Tulane at 2 p.m. CT and New Orleans at 7 p.m. CT at the Dub.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's team on Twitter @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
LSU vs. South Carolina
Mar 31, 2013 at Columbia, S.C.
(Carolina Tennis Center)
#25 South Carolina 4, #33 LSU 1
1. Tsvetan Mihov (USC) def. #82 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Andrew Adams (USC) vs. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-7, 4-4, unfinished
3. Thiago Pinheiro (USC) vs. Olivier Borsos (LSU) 6-7, 6-1, 1-0, unfinished
4. Chip Cox (USC) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Kyle Koch (USC) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-3, 7-6(6)*
6. Harry Menzies (USC) def. Boris Arias (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
1. Olivier Borsos/Roger Anderson (LSU) def. Chip Cox/Tsvetan Mihov (USCO) 9-8(4)
2. Stefan Szacinski/Tam Trinh (LSU) def. Kyle Koch/Harry Menzies (USC) 9-7*
3. Andrew Adams/Thiago Pinheiro (USC) def. Chris Simpson/Boris Arias (LSU) 9-7
LSU 9-8, 3-5 SEC; National ranking #33
South Carolina 15-7, 5-3 SEC; National ranking #25
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (1,6,4,5)