LEXINGTON, Ky. - The No. 9 LSU men's tennis team (5-4) dropped their second SEC match of the season to No. 6 Kentucky (14-2) on Sunday afternoon 4-0.
The Tigers were coming off their SEC opener in Nashville, Tenn., at No. 25 Vanderbilt (10-3) where they lost a close match 4-3.
The Wildcats started the match off by winning the doubles point. On court one, No. 21 Tom Jomby and Kevin Lai defeated LSU's Roger Anderson and Tam Trinh 8-5. The doubles point was secured for Kentucky on court three by Grant Roberts and Anthony Rossi when they defeated Olivier Borsos and Boris Arias 8-5. The match on court two between Kentucky's Ryuji Hirooka and Alejandro Gomez and LSU's No. 41 pair of Chris Simpson and Stefan Szacinski was left unfinished at 6-6.
"Kentucky came out and played a great doubles point and created a lot of momentum for themselves," head coach Jeff Brown said. "Overall, we're still growing and trying to find our identify a little bit."
The Wildcats continued to roll during singles. Kentucky extended their lead to 2-0 on court two when No. 18 Jomby bested LSU's Trinh 6-2, 6-4. Soon after, No. 21 Rossi pushed Kentucky's lead to 3-0 when he defeated LSU's Chris Simpson 6-3, 6-1.
The match was clinched for Kentucky on court four when they took a 4-0 lead after Charles Minc defeated the Tigers' Szacinski 6-4, 6-4.
The final three singles matches were left unfinished. On court three, LSU's Borsos was leading Gomez 7-6(2), 5-3. Roberts was leading LSU's Mark Bowtell 6-4 on court five, and Kentucky's Kevin Lai was leading Harrison Kennedy 5-3 on court six.
The Tigers are back home for their next match this Friday, March 8 at 3 p.m. CT against No. 32 Auburn (8-3).
"It will be good to get home on Friday to play Auburn," Brown said. "We're looking forward to coming home to play in front of our fans."
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men's team on Twitter @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
No. 6 Kentucky 4, No. 39 LSU 0
Hilary J. Boone Varsity Tennis Center - Lexington, Ky.
Saturday, March 3, 2013
Doubles: (Order of finish: 1, 3*)
1. No. 21 Tom Jomby/Kevin Lai (UK) def. Roger Anderson/Tam Trinh (LSU) 8-5
2. Ryuji Hirooka/Alejandro Gomez (UK) vs. Chris Simpson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-6 (unfinished)
3. Grant Roberts/Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Oliver Borsos/Boris Arias (LSU) 8-5
Singles: (Order of Finish: 2, 1, 4*)
1. No. 21 Anthony Rossi (UK) def. Chris Sampson (LSU 6-3, 6-1
2. No. 18 Tom Jomby (UK) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-2, 6-4
3. Oliver Borsos (LSU) led Alejandro Gomez (UK) 7-6 (2), 5-3 (unfinished)
4. Charles Minc (UK) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
5. Grant Roberts (UK) led Mark Bowtell (LSU) 6-4 (unfinished)
6. Kevin Lai (UK) led Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 5-3 (unfinished)