Men's Tennis Drops 6-1 Match in Starkville
STARKVILLE, Miss. -- The 27th-ranked LSU men's tennis team dropped their match 6-1 against the No. 10 Mississippi State Bulldogs Saturday at A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre in Starkville, Miss.
Originally scheduled for Friday, the match was moved to Saturday morning due to rain.
LSU (11-8, 2-5 SEC) faced its fifth consecutive ranked opponent in Mississippi State (15-4, 6-1 SEC ).
The lone win of the day for the Tigers came on court two when LSU's No. 73 Neal Skupski put away Mississippi State's James Chaudry 7-6(2), 4-6, 1-0(4).
This win marked the 11th win for Skupksi this season, improving his overall record to 11-6. He is now 5-2 against SEC opponents.
"Mississippi State played at high level and we didn't have an answer for them today," head coach Jeff Brown said. "We will look to recover quickly to compete at our best tomorrow against Ole Miss."
In doubles, the Tigers continued to search for the perfect combinations, but were unsuccessful, losing all three doubles matches.
In singles, four out of the five Tiger defeats came to ranked opponents.
No. 55 Olivier Borsos was the first Tiger to finish, falling in straight sets to 15th-ranked Artem Ilyushin.
On court five, junior Stefan Szacinski met a similar defeat, dropping his match to No. 46 George Coupland, 6-2, 6-3.
The Bulldogs' 67th-ranked Malte Stropp clinched the match for his team with a 6-4, 6-1 win over No. 98 Chris Simpson.
Both teams agreed to play out the remaining two matches. The Tigers split the matches 1-1.
On court six, senior Tom Knights met defeat at the hands of Zach White, and Skupski concluded the match on a high note for the Tigers with his win over Chaudry, finalizing the score at 6-1.
The Tigers will now have a quick turn around as they travel to Oxford, Miss., to face the 14th-ranked Ole Miss Rebels Sunday at 1 p.m. CT.
Be sure to follow the LSU men's tennis team on Twitter at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis for the latest information on the Tigers and match play.
No. 10 Mississippi State 6, No. 27 LSU 1
A.J. Pitts Tennis Centre - Starkville, Miss.
1) #32 Louis Cant/Malte Stropp (MSU) def. Neal Skupski/Chris Simpson (LSU) 8-4
2) #43 George Coupland/Artem Ilyushin (MSU) def. Olivier Borsos/Tom Knights (LSU) 8-4
3) Zach White/Ethan Wilkinson (MSU) vs. Roger Anderson/James Turbervill (LSU) 8-7(3)
1) #15 Ilyushin (MSU) def. #55 Borsos (LSU) 6-2, 6-1
2) #73 Skupski (LSU) def. James Chaudry (MSU) 7-6(2), 4-6, 1-0(4)
3) #67 Stropp (MSU) def. #98 Simpson (LSU) 6-4, 6-1
4) #44 Cant (MSU) def. Turberville (LSU) 6-0, 7-5
5) #46 Coupland (MSU) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
6) White (MSU) def. Knights (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
Order of finish... Doubles (2,1,3)... Singles (1,5,3,4,6,2)