BATON ROUGE -- No. 27 LSU (10-4, SEC 2-2) had no problem taking care of Illinois State in the first match of a doubleheader Thursday, as the Tigers cruised past the Redbirds, 5-1, in front of a home crowd.
The Tigers mixed up the lineup in doubles, which ultimately proved to be a success.
With the 1-0 advantage, Roberts racked up his second win in dual play this season, taking care of Illinois State's Will Peter in straight sets, 6-4, 6-1.
On court four, Knights stayed hot, shutting down Muddappa Appanervanda 6-2, 6-1, improving his record to 11-2 on the season.
Simpson wrapped it up for the Tigers with a straight set victory over Span, giving LSU the win.
Both Borsos and Anderson finished their matches in a super tiebreaker. Borsos extended the Tigers lead to 5-0 with a thrilling 10-6 win in the third set super tiebreaker.
After making his first dual match appearance in singles, Anderson faught valiantly, but could not close it out, falling 11-9 in his super tiebreaker.
Stefan Szacinski did not finish his match on court three, finalizing the score at 5-1.
"It was nice today to get to play some guys we don't get to play a lot," head coach Jeff Brown said. "By starting the match at 1, I am hoping that we will be able to benefit from finishing much earlier, and I hope this rest will help us going into the match tonight against a very tough St. John's team."
The second match of the doubleheader is set to begin at 7 p.m. CT.
Live stats will be available on lsusports.net.
LSU vs. Illinois State
Mar 15, 2012 at Baton Rouge, La.
(W.T. Dub Robinson Stadium)
#27 LSU 5, Illinois State 1
1. #61 Olivier Borsos (LSU) def. Alexander Pelaez (ILLINOIS ST.) 6-1, 5-7, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Chris Simpson (LSU) def. Skip Span (ILLINOIS ST.) 6-3, 6-3
3. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) vs. Tumas Manner (ILLINOIS ST.) 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
4. Tom Knights (LSU) def. Muddappa Appanervand (ILLINOIS ST.) 6-2, 6-1
5. Jusso Ojanen (ILLINOIS ST.) def. Roger Anderson (LSU) 6-3, 6-7, 1-0 (11-9)
6. David Roberts (LSU) def. Will Peter (ILLINOIS ST.) 6-4, 6-1
1. Olivier Borsos/Chris Simpson (LSU) def. Alexander Pelaez/Tumas Manner (ILLINOIS ST.) 8-5
2. Neal Skupski/Roger Anderson (LSU) def. Will Peter/Muddappa Appanervand (ILLINOIS ST.) 8-5
3. Tom Knights/David Roberts (LSU) def. Skip Span/Jusso Ojanen (ILLINOIS ST.) 8-3
Match Notes: Illinois State 4-7 LSU 10-4; National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,2,3,1,5)