Men's Tennis Comes Up Short at Auburn, 5-2
AUBURN, Ala. -- After defeating the Crimson Tide on Friday, the 25th-ranked LSU Tigers could not complete their SEC sweep Sunday, dropping their match to No. 27 Auburn, 5-2, at Yarbrough Tennis Center in Auburn, Ala.
"We didn't start off well and they took it to us in doubles," head coach Jeff Brown said. "We hung around in singles and competed well, but ultimately they played better than us today."
LSU (8-4, 2-2 SEC) failed to get in a groove early, which eventually would cost them in the end.
After a short delay due to rain, the teams returned to the courts for singles play.
Both Simpson and Tom Knights recorded wins in straight sets for the Tigers over Cochrane and Michael Wardell respectively, but ultimately it was not enough.
"It was a tough loss," Brown said. "We are going to have to put this one behind us and start getting ready and recharge for what will be a busy week ahead."
The Tigers will return home and prepare for their match on Tuesday against USF. The match is scheduled to begin at 3 p.m. CT.
Be sure to follow the Tigers on Twitter at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis for the most up-to-date information on the team.
#27 Auburn 5, #25 LSU 2
Mar 11, 2012 at Auburn, Ala.
(Yarbrough Tennis Center)
1. #20 Andreas Mies (AU) def. #66 Olivier Borsos (LSU) 7-5, 6-1
2. Alex Stamchev (AU) def. Neal Skupski (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Chris Simpson (LSU) def. Daniel Cochrane (AU) 7-6 (7-3), 7-5
4. #118 Lukas Ollert (AU) def. Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Lucas Lopasso (AU) def. James Tubervill (LSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. Tom Knights (LSU) def. Michael Wardell (AU) 6-4, 6-3
1. #16 Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AU) def. Olivier Borsos/Chris Simpson (LSU) 8-3
2. Neal Skupski/James Tubervill (LSU) def. Daniel Cochrane/Lukas Ollert (AU) 8-7 (7-2)
3. Lucas Lopasso/Rafael Rondino (AU) def. Roger Anderson/Stefan Szacinski (LSU) 8-5
LSU 8-4 (2-2 SEC); National ranking #25
Auburn 12-4 (2-2 SEC); National ranking #27
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,5,4,6,1,3)