Men's Tennis Comes Up Short at No. 20 Tennessee
KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Sophomore Andrew Korinek won 6-3, 6-1 on court one to cut the Tennessee lead to one, but the LSU men’s tennis team ultimately fell 4-1 to the No. 20 Volunteers on Friday afternoon at Goodfriend Tennis Center.
“After a close doubles point, we regrouped to get some momentum on a few courts,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “The rain came, and we did not adjust well to indoors. Tennessee is good outside, but better inside.”
In doubles, sophomore Tam Trinh and freshman Eric Perez fell 8-5 to top-ranked Mikelis Libietis and Hunter Reese on court one. Junior Chris Simpson and redshirt freshman John Michael Busch fell 8-6 on court two. Tennessee took the doubles point and the lead into singles.
Simpson fell 6-4, 6-0 to No. 20 Hunter Reese, and the Volunteers led 2-1 before Korinek's victory cut the lead to one. Tennessee (14-9, 3-6 SEC) extended its lead to 3-1 following Trinh’s 6-2, 6-2 loss on court four to Jarryd Chaplin. Mikelis Libietis clinched the match for the Volunteers with a 6-2, 6-3 victory over freshman Justin Butsch on court two.
LSU (11-11, 2-8 SEC) returns to action on Sunday when it travels to No. 8 Georgia for another top 20 matchup. The first serve is scheduled for 11 a.m. on Sunday.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#20 Tennessee 4, #54 LSU 1
Apr 04, 2014 at Knoxville, Tenn
(Goodfriend Tennis Center)
1. #20 Hunter Reese (UT) def. #77 Chris Simpson (LSU) 6-4, 6-0
2. #38 Mikelis Libietis (UT) def. Justin Butsch (LSU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. Brandon Fickey (UT) 6-3, 6-1
4. Jarryd Chaplin (UT) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-2, 6-2
5. Andrew Dromsky (UT) vs. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 4-6, 6-3, 1-1, unfinished
6. Bartosz Sawicki (UT) vs. Eric Perez (LSU) 6-4, 5-3, unfinished
1. #1 Mikelis Libietis/Hunter Reese (UT) def. #70 Tam Trinh/Eric Perez (LSU) 8-5
2. Jarryd Chaplin/Andrew Dromsky (UT) def. Chris Simpson/John Michael Busch (LSU) 8-6
3. Markus Kerner/Bartosz Sawicki (UT) vs. Andrew Korinek/Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 4-7, unfinished
LSU 11-11 (2-8); National ranking #54
Tennessee 14-9 (3-6); National ranking #20
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1); Singles (1,3,4,2)