Men's Tennis Wins Doubles, Loses Match at MSU
STARKVILLE, Miss. – The LSU men’s tennis team took the doubles point from No. 22 Mississippi State and sophomore Boris Arias secured his first SEC singles win, but the Tigers fell 4-2 to the Bulldogs in Starkville on Friday evening.
The doubles point was very close and came down to the match on court one with sophomores Tam Trinh and Andrew Korinek and No. 40 Malte Stropp and Jordan Angus. The match came down to a tiebreaker, and Trinh and Korinek secured the doubles point with a 8-7 win in the tiebreaker. In singles, Arias won his first match in SEC play with a 7-6(7), 6-2 win on court two over No. 91 Malte Stropp.
“We tried some new combinations in doubles and it paid off. It gave us a chance in the match,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “Boris did a good job beating one of their toughest points.”
After the doubles break, sophomore Harrison Kennedy fell 6-4, 6-2 on court six, which allowed Mississippi State to tie the match at one. Mississippi State took a 2-1 lead after Trinh fell 6-4, 6-4 on court five. No. 62 junior Chris Simpson fell 6-4, 7-5 on court one to No. 69 Florian Lakat, which allowed the Bulldogs to take a 3-1 lead. Arias’ inched the Tigers closer with his win on court two that pulled LSU closer to trail 3-2. The match was clinched for the Bulldogs on court four after Jordan Angus defeated sophomore Andrew Korinek 7-5, 1-6, 7-5.
LSU (9-9, 0-6 SEC) returns to action on Sunday afternoon with a match in Oxford, Miss. at Ole Miss. The match is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#22 Mississippi State (14-7, 4-3 SEC) vs. LSU (9-9, 0-6 SEC)
March 21, 2014 – 2 p.m.
Final Score – MSU 4, LSU 2
1. Tam Trinh/Andrew Korinek (LSU) def. #40 Malte Stropp/Jordan Angus (LSU) 8-7(7)
2. Chris Simpson/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Florian Lakat/Tassilo Schmid (MSU) 8-5
3. Zach White/Rishab Agarwal (MSU) def. Boris Arias/Eric Perez (LSU) 8-4
1. #69 Florian Lakat (MSU) def. #62 Chris Simpson 6-4, 7-5
2. Boris Arias (LSU) def. #91 Malte Stropp (MSU) 7-6(7), 6-2
3. Justin Butsch (LSU) vs. Zach White (MSU) 6(8)-7, 4-3, unfinished
4. Jordan Angus (MSU) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU) 7-5, 1-6, 7-5
5. Rishab Agarwal (MSU) def. Tam Trinh (LSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Tassilo Schmid (MSU) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU) 6-4, 6-2