Men's Tennis Falls Short at Michigan, 5-2
ANN ARBOR, Mich. – After a close, back-and-forth match, the No. 30 LSU men’s tennis team fell 5-2 to No. 33 Michigan on Friday at the Varsity Tennis Center in Ann Arbor.
The match was tied twice and had two lead changes. LSU now leads the dual match series 5-3.
“We played very good in doubles as a team,” said LSU head coach Jeff Brown. “In singles we played well in a few spots. You have to be in every match to not allow the momentum to shift.”
LSU took the doubles point to begin the match after winning on courts one and three. No. 30 doubles team of junior Chris Simpson and sophomore Boris Arias defeated No. 13 Barrett Franks and Alex Buzzi, 8-3. Sophomore Tam Trinh and freshman Justin Butsch secured the doubles point after grinding out a close 8-7(3) win over Alex Petrone and Michael Zhu.
The Tigers got off to a slow start in singles with Michigan winning five of the six first sets. Michigan tied the match at one after Butsch fell on court five to Justin Rossi 6-2, 6-2.
On court one, No. 102 Simpson regained a 2-1 lead for the LSU after defeating Vlad Stefan 6-3, 6-3. Trinh fell 7-5, 6-3 to Buzzi on court four, which tied the match at two.
LSU fell on courts two and six, which clinched the match for Michigan at 4-2. In two close sets on court six, Kennedy fought hard but ultimately fell 6-4, 7-5 to Barrett Franks. Korinek fell 6-2, 7-6(1) to Alex Petrone on court two.
Arias was the last man standing on court three. In the first set, Boris fell 6-4, but took the second set 6-4. Arias eventually fell to Shaun Bernstein 10-5 in the tiebreaker.
LSU returns to action in one week when it welcomes No. 17 Kentucky and the University of New Orleans to Dub Robinson Stadium for a Friday doubleheader beginning at 3 p.m.
“We are ready to play some home matches next weekend,” Brown said.
For up-to-date information and behind the scenes access on the Tigers, fans can follow the LSU men’s tennis team on Twitter and Instagram at @lsutennis and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/lsutennis.
#33 Michigan 5, No. 30 LSU 2
1. #102 Chris Simpson (LSU) def. Vlad Stefan (U-M), 6-3, 6-3
2. Alex Petrone (U-M) def. Andrew Korinek (LSU), 6-2, 7-6 (1)
3. Shaun Bernstein (U-M) def. Boris Arias (LSU), 6-4, 4-6, 10-5
4. Alex Buzzi (U-M) def. Tam Trinh (LSU), 7-5, 6-3
5. Justin Rossi (U-M) def. Justin Butsch (LSU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Barrett Franks (U-M) def. Harrison Kennedy (LSU), 6-4, 7-5
1. No. 30 Chris Simpson/Boris Arias (LSU) def. #13 Alex Buzzi/Barrett Franks (U-M), 8-3
2. Shaun Bernstein/Kevin Wong (U-M) vs. Andrew Korinek/Eric Perez (LSU), 7-6 unfinished
3. Tam Trinh/Justin Butsch (LSU) def. Alex Petrone/Michael Zhu (U-M), 8-7 (3)
Order of Completion: Doubles - 1, 3; Singles - 5, 1, 4, 6, 2, 3